Additional meter installation distribution board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two flats connected to one electric meter. Yes I cannot believe it but I am paying for another flats electric!

I have contacted power network who have told me I need a new MPAN number and said I need to contact Uk power networks

I have contacted Uk power networks who have told me that a new distribution board. is needed

my question is what is a distribution board. It is definitely not a rcb fuse board

the message from Uk power networks is

Good Morning

Thank you for the recent email and information.

Unfortunately we are unable to raise any MPANS for this set up as there are no spare fuse ways, in order to have anymore MPANS the below needs to be done:

- Qualified electrican needs to install a distribution board

- Once the distribution board is installed UK Power Networks projects department will need to energise (connect the distribution board to the cut out) the MPANS will be raised as part of this work. Our projects team can be contacted on phone 0203 324 1460 or email[email protected]

Sponsored Links
We need to see pictures.

For all we know, there could be a DB for each flat fed from the same metered supply.

Sponsored Links
Good morning all !

Thanks for all the help so far - Very appreciated!

I ve inserted two pictures

One of the current meters and one of the current fuses at ground level

I am told by UK Power Networks that "are no spare fuse ways" and I need a new distribution board - However I honestly dont know which distribution board to ask an electrician to install

The current setup is that I have two RCD boards for each flat but they are both wired into one meter and I dont want to be paying for someone elses usage

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-20 at 18.40.46.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-20 at 18.40.38.jpeg

Ideally you need to find how 1 meter runs 2 consumer units.

If there is a joint in the meter room, this is good. Just need to split the joint, and run new tails (grey cables) to a new meter positon.
If the joint is upstairs in the flats, then this is more work. And a new long cable will need to be run from one cosumer unit in flat, to meter room.

If you don't have 2 consumer units, then that is loads and loads and loads of work for an electrican to split 2 flats up.

If each flat has its own DB(s) and both are entirely electrically separate from each other, then you do not need a DB.

A new submain will need to be run from the cutout to the flat that is piggy-backing off your supply. Can you get pictures of the electrical supply coming into your flat?

The problem is that you have 3 meters and 3 separate fuses, presumably one for each.
A new meter will require an additional fuse, so that the supply can be isolated when installing or changing that meter.

The loading for each flat also needs to be considered.
Is one of those meters for a landlords/common area supply?
What size are the flats, are they all electric, or is there gas heating?
Are the meters and the fuses in the same location, or far apart?

That’s not the customers problem though.

and it’s not going to draw any more current than it did last week, though I appreciate regulations and guidelines change

Hi all

just to explain things better. The distribution board that is current there is in the communal hallway with three fuses for three meters

there are four flats in the house and four rcd boards. Two boards are connected with meter tails to one meter so that is simple to change once a new meter is installed

If I want a new meter I need to install a new fuse on the distribution board presumably which is what o am trying to understand. I do not understand what Uk power networks mean when they say

Unfortunately we are unable to raise any MPANS for this set up as there are no spare fuse ways, in order to have anymore MPANS the below needs to be done:

- Qualified electrican needs to install a distribution board

- Once the distribution board is installed UK Power Networks projects department will need to energise (connect the distribution board to the cut out) the MPANS will be raised as part of this work. Our projects team can be contacted on phone 0203 324 1460 or email[email protected]

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...tion-distribution-board.576411/#ixzz74BQMqTDg

I think what the DNO are saying is that instead of the current setup of the cutouts directly feeding the meters, a distribution board needs to be installed, which will then be used to feed the meters. So you will have a DB on the "supplier side" of the meters.

What I don't know is what type of DB the DNO would consider appropriate. A normal MCB board would seem less than ideal for this application for several reasons (not least that it makes electricity theft too easy).

I suspect what you should be doing is looking for an electrian who has experiance working with the DNO and get them to contact the DNO on your behalf to hash out what is needed.

I would say they want the two flats to have separate tails, which is understandable, so what is needed is for the place where both flats are combined to be separated, but you don't show where they are combined, likely it will need isolators, so the DNO can simply wire to the isolators, but we can only guess as we have not seen where it splits.

So what @plugwash says, need an electrician use to working with DNO to know what they will accept.

The solution is probably one of these:
RY5-03-650x513_0.jpg

installed above the existing 3 phase cutout, with new wiring from that to the metering positions, which may also need additional work depending on space and what's already there.
4 of those fuses for the flats, 1 for the common supply for lighting, door entry etc.

The solution is probably one of these:
View attachment 242273

installed above the existing 3 phase cutout, with new wiring from that to the metering positions, which may also need additional work depending on space and what's already there.
4 of those fuses for the flats, 1 for the common supply for lighting, door entry etc.

Thanks - What is that exactly called ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back