meter in cloak room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to have a meter in a cloakroom? The actual consumer unit is in the kitchen. The cloakroom would have a WC and a basin. The meter would be boxed in.

Would that be OK?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Is it OK to have a meter in a cloakroom? The actual consumer unit is in the kitchen. The cloakroom would have a WC and a basin. The meter would be boxed in.

Would that be OK?

Cheers.

I don't see why not, especially if its going to be boxed in.

Not an ideal situation, but the cloakroom is not a special location, with a
basin and wc only, so no special location zones to worry about.

Hello,

I think it is acceptable, but maybe it should only be accessible 'with the use of a tool, or key' to be on the safe side ???.

I am not a pro, so it may be best to wait for other replies to confirm this.

Cheers.

Check with your DNO, everything up to the meter is their property and they may well have their own rules regarding its placement.

Also, how far is the meter from the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
The consumer unit is just the opposite side of the wall - about 12 inches.

I can maybe make a sealed unit with a perspex window for meter reading.

joe - I'm not being narky, but I thought you were well-up on 7671?

securespark said:
joe - I'm not being narky, but I thought you were well-up on 7671?

No I'm not. It's something I've got to spend time on. That's why I'm in this particular part of the forum at the moment. I'll never know what the pros know.

Not being one to drag up old arguments, but that's not what you said recently...

joe-90 said:
Oh and I am qualified in the 16th edition regs.

securespark said:
Not being one to drag up old arguments, but that's not what you said recently...

joe-90 said:

And if you go back and look you'll see I did it 12 years ago. I just haven't kept up to date.

correct me if i'm wrong but, was the 16th edition around 12 years ago ?!

The original 16th edition was published in 1991.
The current version which we now need to work to is 2001 inc ammendments No 1 : 2002 and No 2 : 2004.

joe-90 said:
And if you go back and look you'll see I did it 12 years ago. I just haven't kept up to date.
Fair enough. But then you shouldn't haughtily make this claim when challenged about your knowledge of BS7671.
joe-90 said:

securespark said:
joe-90 said:
Fair enough. But then you shouldn't haughtily make this claim when challenged about your knowledge of BS7671.
joe-90 said:

Why are you making a big deal out of nothing? I guess it's because I kicked your ass a few weeks back?

I stand corrected... Thanks Spark123
I should have checked in the front of my own latest copy of BS7671 (Brown cover) Page 5
The 16th edition was indeed issued in 1991 with Red cover.

Maybe if I had passed my 16th edition 12 years ago I would know all the regs pretty much in depth. Still I must spend more time reading and refreshing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back