Meter / network supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lad I know lives above the shop, there are two flats.

He has the 1st floor and for years his meter feeds both flats and he gets the neighbour to cough up half the bill.

Rightly he'd like to on his own meter, and the neighbours get there own.

Problem being that the network cable to the building has been split, shop + rear of shop annex + shared between the two flats.

If he told the network that he intended to remove the service to his neighbours (since its via his meter) how would they respond?

Would they have a legal obligation to supply a new service for the neighbour?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the property was divided with local authority approvals etc... Energy companies will come out to fit appropriate meters and ensure that the existing supply is suitable for potentially increased demands. However there is likely to be a cost involved. If the property hasn't been split officially as showing as Flat A, Flat B etc.. on the postcode database then this might cause some administration issues which will slow things down.

If this all sounds like too much of a hassle then he could fit his own meter(s) on his side of the electrics (after the networks meter) and come to some agreement with everyone else about paying for their own usage and which tariff/provider they all share etc.. however if they want to fully separate themselves then he/they will most likely need to apply for new connections.

Example what to do from a network: http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...I-have-on-my-existing-electricity-supply.html

Basically he's using your supply now, if you cut him off, the supplier is obliged to connect him but they're allowed to charge him their costs. But if you don't cut him off, he still has the same costs.
Ideally that should have all been picked up when he bought the flat that he didn't have a mains electric supply of his own, but maybe he didn't get the right survey or it was too long ago.

Sponsored Links
I think costs will depend on how the upstairs flat is fed. If it's fed from say Henley's after the meter, the costs will be minimal.

If there's not two sets of cables leaving the metering area, and the upstairs flat is fed from the 1st floor flat, costs are gonna start to go up, as somebody will need to get an appropriate cable back to that meter position, which is going to involve more cost and upheaval.

Not sure if the DNO would class it as a new supply, I can't see why they would, it's just a division of a supply and should really only involve whichever supplier Mr Upstairs choses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back