Meter siteing and cable routing

plugwash said:
a modular box with a 63A dp mcb is smaller than most switchfuses, availible in a IP rated form and doesn't require replacement fuses.

Very neat and handy to put in the meter box, then (round my way the urchins like to open meter boxes and run off leaving the door swinging). Is 63a the biggest readily available?

Sponsored Links
larger MCBS exist but are uncommon especally in 2 pole (and if you use a single pole one you've got to figure out how your going to handle the neutral) and are usually two modules wide per pole.

TBH - If you are going to fit a Sw Fuse, you may as well fit the CU there instead.

Unless you intend to put the Sw Fuse outside, and that aint a great idea.....

Are you aware that you do not need the meter outside?? This is only a requirement on new builds - and even then, they will allow an internal one on many occasions.

This way, you could have the meter and CU in your cupboard.

as a current employee of westernpower i can tell you that if you want your new supply to be taken into the property they will do that for you especially as an outside cabinet( flush or surface mounted) could possibly spoil the exterior finished look.if you want to have an outside cabinet then they will install the cutout(main fuse)meter and a double pole isolation switch rated at 100amps this double pole switch is sealed at the top where the meter tails enter and has a customer connection cover at the bottom which can be accsessed by your spark.after this point they are not really bothered because when they install this switch they HAVE to put a sticker next to it which basically saws"this switch belongs to western power" and when you connect to it, it is up to you to comply with the installation regulations(what you could call a get out clause ,what else can you expect from an american owned company)

Sponsored Links
Thanks stardelta.

Back to the routing. If we can get supply before the internal studwork is put up, what would the preferred routing be assuming the meter is inside (the only downside to this is that the meter reader would need access unless there are other reasons I can't thnk of)?

Through the concrete slab inside a WPD (local REC) supplied conduit?

or

Through the loft space?

I would always go for a duct in the concrete slab if it's an undergound supply (including underground from a nearby pole).

But as you mention loft, do you mean you have an overhead supply?

In this case, iirc (and it's not my area) I think they like it to come down the outside of the building until it penetrates the wall to reach your meter, so they can see it's OK, and no-one is likely to do anything to it; it won't overheat inside insulated spaces; and they can fit a new one whenever they feel like it without having to poke about inside your house.

BTW, I was once clearing the garden of an old house I'd bought, came across a troublesome tree root my spade wouldn't go through, hauled it to the surface with my pickaxe... found it was the incoming supply. Had to sit down until the cold sweat went, and re-buried it much deeper.

Stardelta confirms it!

If the meter is inside, they will want duct from edge of boundry to position where it raises from the ground. They will not allow this cable to be conceiled as it rises up the wall. It will be clipped direct.

They will not run in the loft.

have you been in contact with WPD yet as regards the supply.

if you are doing a barn conversion i guess you are in a rural location and fed via a pole mounted transformer? if this is the situation how many other people/neighbours are fed from the same transformer.pole mounted transformers can be from 16kva single phase upto 500kva 3 phase if you have the former and there are 2 or 3 properties already on this transformer they may be reluctant to connect you unless you pay for an upgrade to a 50kva transformer.

if the transformer sits on one pole only, make enquires NOW because its either a 16 or 50 kva.if it sits on a platform between two poles don`t worry about it, this type of construction starts at 300kva and up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back