meter tails and cable head

L

llewop

Can any one tell me what the maximum distance for meter tail from the meter to the consumer unit is. Iam rewiring a house and the distance from the meter to the consumer unit is about 2.5 m. Also the cable head is very old it is enclosed in an old cast box which the earth is attached to the casing by a nut and bolt(sorry no picture). I have asked the house owner to ask her supplier to upgrade the cable head does the supplier normally change this with little hassle

Sponsored Links
Normally 3 meters maximum but check with the local DNO as they sometimes have differing ideas.

Have you taken a Ze measurement?

Thanks for getting back I have not taken a Ze measurement yet will be back on the job on Wednesday will try then

Sponsored Links
Western Power Distribution didn't set a maximum distance even when I asked them. They did require that the meter tails were a minimum size 16mm with a 10mm earth for an 80A supply. These cables had to be in conduit between the service fuse and meter.

In my case it took the DNO sparky about half an hour and cost nothing. Officially he was there to replace the service head, but since I only wanted the meter moved 1.5 metres, he moved it while the tails were disconnected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back