meter tails & switchfuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am fitting a switchfuse between the meter and the CU as i have to replace the meter tails , i am upgrading them to 25mm , the question i have is , the run is around 6m long , it goes along the cellar ceiling up the side of the cellar stairs to the CU , am i ok to clip the 25mm cable direct to the surface or do i have to put it in trunking . Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd be more inclined to run SWA instead of tails over any distance that involves the use of a switchfuse, most switchfuses I've come across are metal anyway and a metalclad CU won't set you back much more than an insulated one, plus, in my mind they are much more rigid, roomier and easier to work with.

PS. Don't use this method with a TT system (earth rod as opposed to the supplier prodiving the earth, TN-C-S or T-N-S).

hi clicksure , thanks for the reply , unfortunately the CU is plastic , i suppose my question is , is it acceptable to clip the 25mm tail cable direct , i ask this as ive got a part p assessment coming up and im just trying to ensure everything will be ok. il definately look at swa in the future

In that case I'd investigate trunking, galvanised steel (earthed) if you want to do a really good job of it.

You always need to think of environmental influences and this can for example involve metal stepladders being leaned up against them, in time damaging the insulation and creating a risk of electrocution.

In short, yes it could be acceptable to clip tails direct, but you need to weigh up the likelyhood of anything happening to them which could be avoided with a couple of quids worth of trunking.

Good look with the assesment blenki, the first one is always a nerve-racking experience for even the most experienced of sparks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back