Meter tails underground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cut out and meter has been moved outside.

Need to connect meter tails, and the easiest path is

1. through the trench I dug to expose the incoming supply

2. Then through a hole in a solid wall (where the old incoming supply was), then through to the consumer unit

What I would like is confirmation on how to protect the meter tails as it exits the fuse switch, goes underground and through the solid brick wall to the consumer unit

Sponsored Links
Cut out and meter has been moved outside.

Need to connect meter tails, and the easiest path is

1. through the trench I dug to expose the incoming supply

2. Then through a hole in a solid wall (where the old incoming supply was), then through to the consumer unit

What I would like is confirmation on how to protect the meter tails as it exits the fuse switch, goes underground and through the solid brick wall to the consumer unit
Your electrician will use or instruct SWA and add appropriate fusing.

Sponsored Links
I'd say this is one of those situations where; if you're asking this question then yes maybe you should stay away
People said the same thing to me when I was interested in changing light fittings, switches and adding sockets.

Today, I am comfortable and confident adding additional light fittings to the circuit, extending ring mains etc.

If I'd listened to the naysayers, I would not have advanced. I believe that I am more that capable of completing this job, I just need guidance, mainly in terms of regulation.

There is no problem with you increasing your knowledge and skills. The problem is that some of the learning has to be supervised by a person able to guide you or protect you when the work is potentially dangerous if you make a mistake

Today, I am comfortable and confident adding additional light fittings to the circuit, extending ring mains etc.

All these circuits are protected by MCBs in the consumer unit and these MCBs will disconnect a short circuit in less than a second ( magnetic trip ).
Remove the fault and reset the MCB and all is OK

The tails from cutout, through the meter and on to the CU are protected only by the "company" fuse in the cut out which is not fast acting and could let more than 200 Amps flow for a second or two before the fuse wire melts. 200 Amps through a short circuit fault is 50 kW of heating.

After the company fuse has blown then it is a call to the DNO to replace the fuse and maybe to the meter company if the meter has locked out on over current.

People said the same thing to me when I was interested in changing light fittings, switches and adding sockets.

If I'd listened to the naysayers, I would not have advanced. I believe that I am more that capable of completing this job, I just need guidance, mainly in terms of regulation.
If you'd asked me for advice on "adding additional light fittings to the circuit, extending ring mains etc." I'd have happily offered help, once I'd got an idea of your capabilities.

I'm sorry but running the main feed from outside to inside, underground and into your CU is a different situation. Others may have a different opinion but... I'm staying out of it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back