Metered Water and cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been monitoring our water usage ever since moving here in 2006 and have now noticed a possible problem. Average water cost is 0.1127 per day for the first two years. The next six (summer) months are much cheaper for unknown reasons at 0.0625. BUT the six months up to 16/4/09 are a staggering 1.825 per day. This coincides with the very cold weather last winter - I can think of no other reason. The bill to 16/9 is again cheaper at 0.911.

When the heating comes on in the mornings I can hear the water rushing around in the pipes but have been told this is normal. If the heating had a leak, would this be constant or would it be worse when the weather is cold? Wouldn't a leak become obvious in some way?

How do I get this checked out?

Sponsored Links
Can you turn off your water at night and take a reading.Check if the meter has moved in the morning and if so you have a leak somewhere.

The heating will not affect water usage if it is a sealed system :D

The meter is virtually on the road (a country lane) with no street lighting. The central heating is not a sealed system and I'll be testing that soon.

I turned the water off at 12.40 yesterday and the meter was at 1599.0111
Without using any water whatsoever in the house, the meter at 12.15 today read 1599.0216 - so still a small leak somewhere. The heating came on around 9 am (forgot to change the clock!), so was on for 3 hrs 15 minutes.

PS Well done on the smoking.......me too!

Could be your heating tank is being constantly topped up due to a leak. Cut off the supply to it and monitor the water level. It should raise while the CH is on and drop to 3-4 inches when cold.

If it keeps dropping then you know the leak is on your CH somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Forget the cost and calculate your actual water usage. Was the reading last autumn wrong? Estimated? If last summer's usage was low because the reading was wrong then the following six month's usage would come out very high.

You're right to suspect a leak but its very easy to check. Make sure all your taps off, nobody taking a shower, and see if the meter moves. The possible leak you measured doesn't sound like it would account for the usage you're worried about.

Forget the cost and calculate your actual water usage. Was the reading last autumn wrong? Estimated? If last summer's usage was low because the reading was wrong then the following six month's usage would come out very high.

You're right to suspect a leak but its very easy to check. Make sure all your taps off, nobody taking a shower, and see if the meter moves. The possible leak you measured doesn't sound like it would account for the usage you're worried about.

I've tested for a leak today (see above). My point being that a constant small leak in fine weather becomes much much worse in very cold weather.

I'll let you know the outcome of monitoring the CH system.
Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back