Method of fixing joists on a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm building a 4m x 3m single skin 4" block shed in my garden. My question is what is the best and most secure method of fastening down the joists?

I'll be installing a wall plate and strapping down but, I've seen a multitude of opinions on how to fasten down the joists to prevent uplift.

I've seen:
1. Skew nails/screws through the joist into the wall plate
2. Truss clips to attach the joist and plate, like this: https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/simpson-strong-tie-truss-clip-47mm-width-882010
3. Upside down long-leg joist hangers into the joist, plate and blockwork
4. Twisted restraint straps into the joist and blockwork

Would appreciate any experienced opinion here - it could be that they're all fine and just offer differing levels of belt and braces.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
For the small extra outlay i would also use truss clips on every rafter and you could always fix the wallplate down with resin fixed fixings which have a very good grip in most substrates.

For the small extra outlay i would also use truss clips on every rafter and you could always fix the wallplate down with resin fixed fixings which have a very good grip in most substrates.
Woody is referring to a method without a wall plate, i.e. built-in joists.

Sponsored Links
@noseall , you sure about Woody ? the OP said he has a wall plate and using straps ..."I'll be installing a wall plate and strapping down" and not sure why you let me know that but cheers.

@noseall I know twisted straps are used but the OP actually IS using a wallplate in which case standard "L" shaped straps will work as will the truss clips to secure the joists/rafters.

Ok, thanks all for your comments. I think the consensus is that truss clips alone will be fine provided the wall is strapped down, which it is.
Thanks again all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back