MEZZ light switch

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Mezz said:
Help!
I have just bought a new two gang two way switch for my hall and landing lights. The old switch terminals are labelled (top) com, L1 and L2 and (bottom) L1, L2 and com.
The new switch is labelled (top) L and L and (bottom) L1, L2, L1 and L2. How do I wire up the new switch. Both cables coming into the switch contain red, blue, yellow and earth cables.

I hope that you have drawn a diagram of how the wires are attached to your old switch, showing terminal numbers and colours, and which cable they come from.

You attach then to the new one in the same way. Old "L" is new "COM".

Although the switch seems to have 6 terminals, it is in fact made up of two switches, each with 3 terminals and arranged in a triangle, Sometimes the moulding marks on the back of the switch enable you to see how it has two sides to it. One will be for the upstairs lights and one for the downstairs lights. The current goes in through the "COM" and out through either the L1 or the L2 depending on the position of the switch tumbler.

The earth wires are all to be sheathed in greeen and yellow and attached to the terminal in the wall box at the back.

If the switch is metal faced you need an extra earth wire to connect from the wall box terminal to the metal faceplate.

Edited: It is in //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back