mezzanine floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If I want to place a mezzanine floor on the ground floor of a dwelling, would be the structure to be fire resistance? I don´t know wheather or not you can consider mezzanine to be the lower floor of the building according to building regulations.

And, could I use a ladder to access to a storage mezzanine in a flat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All building structures have to have appropriate levels of fire resistance.

If the mezzanine floor is open to the rest of the room, e.g. a 'bed deck' then it's usually considered to be part of that room. The structure would have to comply with Building Regulations, but would not be a separate fire compartment and separate means of escape would not normally be required.

If the mezzanine floor is forming separate rooms then it may be considered an additional storey, and would also have to have suitable means of escape in its own right. It might or might not be a fire compartment.

In either case Building Regulations must be complied with and the appropriate consents sought.

A ladder can be used to access a storage mezzanine in the same was as accessing a loft.

Thanks a lot,

And, would this mezzanine have to be fire resistant if placed in an upper floor of a dwelling and used only for storage?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter what it's *used* for.

If it's considered a habitable room (or part of one) it will have to comply with all the building regulations applicable. If it's a loft or roof void then it doesn't.

I have already noted that "fire resistant" is meaningless as all building structures have to have appropriate levels of fire resistance.

If the work is in Spain you will need to comply with Spanish regulations which will be completely different.

If you explain what you actually want to do, we may be able to suggest things. But at the moment you are talking about 'mezzanine' without saying what you actually mean. [/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back