MFI Kitchen Kickboards - trimming... how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can answer this.

I've just had to have the kitchen tiled floor relaid (because the first cowboy bodged it and they were coming up). This meant all the tiles had to come up, about 3 - 4 mm of latex compound being poured and tiled over.

Problem I have now is because the tiles are sitting that much higher the kickboards won't go back into place as they are slightly wider than the gap between tiles and bottom of unit.

Looking at them they seem to be made of some really crumbly chipboard type stuff.

Question is, how do I trim 3 or 4 mm of the long edge without the things disintegrating horribly? I'm assuming a normal plane will just rip them apart.

Thanks In Advance

Graham

Sponsored Links
Score a line in the face with a stanley knife so you don't get chipping . Cut the top of the kickboards not the bottom , that way if it goes wrong it wont be seen at eye level .
Myself i would just plane it because it wont be seen anyway and do the scoring thing at any corners or exposed parts . You can buy a cheap power plane for about £20 that will make the job quicker .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back