Microsoft Windows Side Bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running Windows Vista as my OS. I have an annoying Side Bar gadget fault with the calender gadget. If I install it on my Side Bar, it only displays as an orange square. I used to get a Month calender and by using the tools option I could get it to display todays date, but now I only get the orange square, selecting on it in the side bar only has the 'X' close option but no 'spanner' icon for tools. As such I cannot get it to display the calender as I have no tool option. What is odd is that if I establish another user, the Side Bar on the newly created Desk Top accepts the calender gadget correctly. I have tried all I can think of to get the Gadget to operate on my Desk Top without Success.
Any Ideas anyone.
It is not a big problem to me but it is just annoying I can't 'Fix It'

Sponsored Links
1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, clickAccessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

Hi Monsterminty,
Thanks for your help.
I did exactly what you suggested, and the scan ran through which took about 20 minutes to perform. I got a report that the Registry Protection System found No Violations.
I then tried adding the calander to the Side Bar and I still got the Orange square without the ability to display the Month or day.
What is odd is that establishing a second 'User', the Calander Gadget works oerfectly Coreectly.
Do you have any other suggestions, if not, thanks for your interest and help.

Sponsored Links
Hi Monsterminty.
That fixed it. The first suggestion sorted the problem.
Thanks so much for you help and advice.
I had tried Google searches in the past but did not find anything remotely relevant.
For my education, how did you find this solution?
Maybe you are just a 'Windows Wizzo'
Thanks again for you help.

Are you still there Monsterminty.
As I had said in my last posting August 2011, your solution to my problem worked, but shortly after, the calender on the Google side bar returned to just an ornage square. I tried the solution that worked before with no luck so I tried the second option. In this case it suggests deleting a line in the start up menu. The line it suggests deleting does not appear in my listing.
So I am back to square one with this annoying side bar gadget.
Have you any other ideas?
I would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Back