Microwave "window" burnt out

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
An aged relative has an AEG Combi microwave. She says it recently sparked a lot. On inspection I see it has an opalescent plastic "window" on the side wall (it is stainless lined). This is not for the interior lamp, which shines through holes in the sidewall. I presume it has the magnetron behind it. It is retained by two screws so presumably replacable.

This window had a brown burnt patch on it, I assumed it was a burned-on food splash and started to clean it all, but found the plastic window was cracked and brittle, and broke up as I rubbed it.

Is it likely that I can just get a new piece of plastic, or is the burnt window a bad sign?

I have the oven in the boot of my car but it's dark and raining so I haven't got the model no. to hand. but can get it tomorrow if it affects the advice.

Sponsored Links
It's a wave guide cover. You can buy it by the sheet and cut it to shape or you can pay through the nose for a genuine one from the manufacturer.
Any decent independant will have a sheet in the shop.

Thanks!

Is it unusual for it to burn/go brittle or would this be caused by not keeping it clean, or some other fault? I wondered if there was some kind of overheating fault on the magnetron.

Not being cheeky but it's normally caused by food stuff not being cleaned off. Once it's burnt on it causes sparking at the cover which eventually burns it. It's very common, probably why there's two sheets of it on my van. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

That seems to fit what happened (I keep my own one very clean!). Is there a good cleaning stuff I can buy her?

Will phone a place in Portsmouth tomorrow that sells appliance bits.

No special cleaning solution for it, just soap and water and a good drying off.
Main problem is if food stuff (liquid) gets behind it. If caught early enough you just remove it, clean it and refit it.

is this sheet something you could put in an envelope for me if I send you a few quid?

LOL. The sheets I've got are about 60 cm by 60 cm.
If you can't get one locally give me a shout with approx dimensions of yours and I'll cut one for you.

Managed to get one locally, the local place cut me a bit out of their sheet for £8; it looks like a genuine one from AEG would actually have been cheaper :(

A very easy job though, just needed the right Torx. I've never done anything to a microwave before, I had the idea that if you touch them with a screwdriver, all the magic waves escape and boil your brain :LOL:

Horrendously expensive stuff.
Microwaves are extremely easy to work on and fix.
Only thing to remember is to discharge the capacitor first (after unplugging of course). Once thats done .... you're safe enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back