Mid 1930's house pointing???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rear elevation of the house is looking like it is has never seen the light of day of fresh mortar and is looking in the need of some maintenance. We live in Yorkshire and many of the houses of this era seem to be held together with some form of black mortar? A chap that plastered the house said it is black ash mortar and is awful on all levels. You can see this between the brick work inside and out.

With this is mind I am unsure what to repoint with in terms of sand and cement, lime, etc.

Any help would be appreciate and many thanks in advance for all constructive and helpful replies.

Mandy;)

Sponsored Links
Black ash mortar helps corrode wall ties. Use black mortar tint if you need a similar colour.

Black ash mortar helps corrode wall ties. Use black mortar tint if you need a similar colour.

It does indeed Stuart, pity they don't tell you this when you buy your first house. Lol. Not bothered about the mortar looking black as there is nothing uniform about the house. The front elevation is stone fronted and the rear is red brick with the top half pebble dashed. I am more interested in the composite of the mortar mix and more to the point what to repoint with.

The correct mortar mix depends on what mix was used for the build.
If built in a lime mortar then use one to repoint. If it's a cement mortar then a similar mix should be used. The new mix shouldn't normally be stronger than the existing.
As regards how to do the job and the tools it depends on what style of pointing is required. You may find some instruction on YTube.

Sponsored Links
The correct mortar mix depends on what mix was used for the build.
If built in a lime mortar then use one to repoint. If it's a cement mortar then a similar mix should be used. The new mix shouldn't normally be stronger than the existing.
As regards how to do the job and the tools it depends on what style of pointing is required. You may find some instruction on YTube.

I have all the tools necessary and I have done some pointing before so no issues there. To be honest I am not a hundred percent sure if it is built with lime mortar or not, but it is clear I need to get a second opinion on this one.

Many thanks

If you're unsure scrape a bit off and put it in vinegar. If bubbles appear and there are chalky lumps, it must be lime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back