Mortar mix for pointing and grinding depth

It depends on the joint size. For repointing gauged brickwork, with joints of around 1.5mm, putty is better. For larger joints over 3 mm a mortar with a sand of 0.5mm or 1mm down gives the mortar a bit more body. The size of the aggregate used should be matched to the size of the joints.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the joint size. For repointing gauged brickwork, with joints of around 1.5mm, putty is better. For larger joints over 3 mm a mortar with a sand of 0.5mm or 1mm down gives the mortar a bit more body. The size of the aggregate used should be matched to the size of the joints.
I've just been looking at tuck irons - I never k ew such things existed, I've only seen the tuck pointers you can buy in screwfix etc

20mm minimum ground out, max 25mm.

The joints are not widened. Don't entertain quotes from anyone who says they do.

That brickwork will require above average skill and experience to do well.
What would be a good mortar mix ratio?

Sponsored Links
You need a contractor able to gauged pointing.

I would generally advise don't repoint for the sake of it - only repoint where the mortar has worn away. Blanket repointing is costly and you are just removing sound mortar for fresh mortar for no good purpose

Here is a useful guide https://historicengland.org.uk/imag...lls/heag144-repointing-brick-and-stone-walls/

A suitable mortar would be lime based, but not NHL (naturally hydraulic lime). A non-hydraulic lime, ideally quicklime or even hydrated lime is now considered to be superior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back