Mid Position Valve wiring - It's not functioning properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping there is an expert here able to help with weird CH and mid-position valve issues.

Setup:
Y-Plan with Honeywell ST9400 controller, mid-pos valve and cylinder stat. All these items are new. I replaced everything from an old Potterton controller which had the same problem. I thought it was either the controller or the valve sticking so I replaced the lot... only to find the exact same issue occurs.

The problem:
When both CH and HW (cylinder heating) is on and then the CH requirement is switched off, the valve stays in mid-position -AB- causing the radiators to stay hot. If I force the HW off, then switch it back on, only then the valve correctly goes to position B.

I did some testing with voltages below:

.........................Valve........Orange.........Grey...........White

Power OFF........... B...............3.................0 ...............0
HW......................B.............240...............80...............0
CH ......................A ............240..............240............240
HW + CH............AB.............240................80............240
Off (controller)......AB............95................240.............95
Turn CH off
when both were on...AB..........240..............0...............20

So, in my understanding, all these voltages are correct, so why, when CH and HW are on and then the CH is switched off, does the valve stay in AB causing the radiators to stay hot?

Happy to diagnose further if you need to know something.

Thanks for your help.
John

Sponsored Links
Actually when I say I replaced the valve, I didn't actually replace the plumbing part of the valve, just the actuator part, - the motor and electronics.

Sponsored Links
View media item 30560The explanation in the top right corner could be confusing.

1. Heating and HW: Only the White has 240V. The 240V on the Orange comes from the cylinder stat, NOT the valve.

2. HW and NO heating: The 240V on orange comes from the cylinder stat.

3. Heating and No HW: 240V on White, Grey and Orange. The 240V on the Orange comes from the valve, NOT the cylinder stat.

The only way to solve this problem is to go about it logically as explained in Mid-position valve operation and fault finding.

Ok thanks for the link, I will work through that and post my findings, thanks all for your help so far. Will let you know how I got on.

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back