Mid position valve woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last few years Ive had to replace my danfoss midposition valve motor about four times. The heating will stop coming on even when the thermostat is calling for it. A quick run upstairs moving the manual lever on the valve fires up the boiler.

I then replace the motor head unit and all is okay for say six months and then it goes again. Its getting a bit frustrating and expensive to replace them so often.

Im assuming having them go so often is not normal but Im at a loss to know whats wrong. I even replaced the valve itself incase it had gunked up and was creating excessive resistence for the motor. Howevrr sadly this did not work either.

Im an okay at replacing bits like this but Im far far from an expert and Im having to admit Im at a lose.

Any help or thoughts will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ach, the quality of even the best manufactures has gone out the window Minky son, even Honeywell Mid & Zone valves are now a complete load of sh.te. The best thing to do is the next time you drain the system or replace the valve, fit 3(or 2 if your pump valve are near the 3 port) full bore lever valves on the pipes at the valve. This will enable you to replace the whole valve without draining.

You can buy about three cheap valves for the price of a Honeywell & if it's your own home, then with the lever valves fitted, it's just a 10 minute job.
HTH

It would be interesting to know if it was the motor in the head that's popped or the board in the head? Might be worth getting a sparks in to test the wiring as could be a fault elseware burning the board out? Sunvic do a valve now that only power up when in use not keeping a contsant power to the motor so stops them burning the motor out if not. But it is sunvic

Sponsored Links
I have this suspicion that there is another cause.

Is this valve completely out in the open or is it getting covered by tank insulation or towels etc?

Its not normal for the lever to act to fire up the boiler either! Normally only when motor driven does it do that.

Whats your mains voltage?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back