Mid-room expansion gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some 18mm random length walnut engineered flooring to lay throughout our living room. This will be floated over concrete (with DPM and underlay).

The room is 11m x 4m. planks to run parallel to 11m run.

On all sites, I've read that large rooms need expansion gaps in them. What they don't agree on is what is a 'large' room. I've seen:

- anything over 10m long.
- anything over 15m long.
- anything over 10m long AND 8m wide

What are peoples thoughts on this? I would very much rather not have an expansion gap in the middle of the room.

Also, I'm going to put in the 10-15mm gap around the perimeter... But what to then put in it? Cork, silicone, caulk or nothing. I've seen recommendations for al of them. though if you put anything in the gap, surely you essentially make the gap smaller? :s

Cheers al,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
You need a clean, unfilled gap AS BIG AS YOU CAN CREATE around the room. DO NOT FILL IT WITH ANYTHING!!!!! You want the floor to be able to expand into the void!!!! Yo can cover the gap with skirting and/or beading.

It's your choice weather to fit the expansion gap, i'd suggest fitting the floor without but be prepared to fit one if you have issues? but DO NOT fill the expansion gap!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back