Expansion gap in hot weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not really getting this expansion gap business!!

I have 4 x 4m room in which to lay solid oak 20mm thick 125mm wide boards (2.2-3.6m lengths). T&G along lengths only.

I've got them acclimatising in the bedroom upstairs.

It's hot. Does that that mean they will expand because they will be able to absorb and hold more moisture. Or does it mean they will contract because moisture will be evaporated. (I think the former).

Question is, if the former, and the boards are at maximum expansion, what happens if I float them with a 15mm gap all round. As the weather cools and they contract there's no way the skirting will cover them. How do I account for the weather in working out the expansion gap?

Sponsored Links
in a room 4 by 4 and solid oak floorboards your gap has to be at least 15mm all around (don't forget under doorposts and around fireplaces).

As for seasonal influences during installation: in Winter, during the heating seasons and the lower air humidity in general you should leave wider expansion gaps, in your case around 18 - 20mm so the floor, when the humidity gets higher has room "to move" to.

In summer when no central heating is on and the air humidity is normal or high you should leave the minimum expansion gap needed for your room, in this case around 15 - 16mm.

For solid floor boards we always recommend to use 20 - 22mm thick skirtingboards or 24mm wide flat beading (in front of your skirting boards, flat onto the wood floor)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back