Mid-terrace 1840s bathroom - How to fix plasterboard to brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, long time DIYnot stalker, first time poster! We've just bought our first house, a beautiful 1840s mid-terrace which is a bit of a fixer-upper. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions down the line, but right now we're working on the bathroom.

As we were moving out the old bath, quite a few tiles came off with the plaster stuck to them, taking it back to exposed brick. I decided at that point that I might as well take them all off, and look into reboarding the wall with a moisture resistant plasterboard, butting it up to the existing plaster.

I've attached a picture so you can see. The wall in question (on the left of the picture) is an interior wall (joining next door). I was wondering, is dabbing a moisture resistant plasterboard to an interior (and presumably solid) brick wall safe? I understand that's a no-no for exterior facing non cavity walls. I'm trying to avoid battening to save space and also to bring it level with the existing plaster. We then planned to put plastic bead and butt cladding up to a dado rail, for a traditional look and also for any splash off the bath, which is a free-standing one.

Or... how would exposed brick work fair in this bathroom? Again I'd consider the plastic bead and butt cladding as the bath would be there. Unless of course it'd be safe not to.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_5250.JPG
    IMG_5250.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 157
Sponsored Links
hi. personally i use hardibacker board in bathrooms which will provide a perfectly flat, water resistant surface ready for tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back