Plasterboard in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have had 2 walls in my bathroom and my ceiling reboarded and plastered with normal plaster board.

I've just had a tiler tell me that my walls need reboarding again with moisture resistant plaster board before tiling.

he didn't mention my ceiling, does that need doing aswell?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Aquapanel or hardibacker board in the shower enclosure would be best.

however Plasterboard will survive if you apply a complete coat of waterproof adhesive to the area to be tiled and a good quality waterproof grout.

Normal plasterboard on the ceiling is fine.

Aquapanel or hardibacker board in the shower enclosure would be best.

however Plasterboard will survive if you apply a complete coat of waterproof adhesive to the area to be tiled and a good quality waterproof grout.

Normal plasterboard on the ceiling is fine.

Wouldn't condensation have an effect on normal plasterboard on the ceiling?
What type of waterproof adhesive do you recommend? :)

Sponsored Links
Regular plasterboard is just fine in a bathroom. Tank any wet areas using a Mapei kit. http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484

MR plasterboard is just that, moisture resistant. Not waterproof. Same goes for cement boards. They are not waterproof, they just don't degrade when wet. What you want is a waterproof surface and tanking gives you just that.

Use a good quality cement based powdered adhesive and grout.

As for condensation install the correct sized humidistat controlled extractor for the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back