Boarding over fibreboard ceiling...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a post up in painting and decorating called "papering over fibreboard" but, today i went back to have a second look and suggested reboarding the whole room. She asked if it was possible just to reboard the ceiling over the existing fibreboards. I said yes but have a couple of concerns.

It's an old council house with corrugated panels for the sides on the top half and roof, i've been told by someone who has one of these properties that the joist they used, which the fibreboard is attached to, are about an inch wide and 4 deep. Is that plenty of room to work with when screwing the plaster board in?

Secondly, where the ceiling meets the walls small batons are used for what i'm assuming is to give extra support for the fibreboards. If i remove these and reboard up, will i have problems when skimming. I.E. usually you use the plasterboard for the walls to push up to the ceiling plasterboard and give extra support, plus put skrim tape up to fill/catch the plaster for the internal gaps. Should i still use scrim tape? I'm papering over the walls so was thinking about using possibly easyfil to go over the scrim tape and sand down before papering. Or should i try the jointing tape technique once the plaster has dried???

Thanks in advance...D

Sponsored Links
If you hit the joists right in the centre,, using plenty of screws,, that should give you enough room for re-boarding. I know the small battens around the ceiling line you refer too. I think they were put there for support, and to finish the ceiling off.

I suppose you could board over the old stuff, but I'd go for getting rid of the old fibre-boards, and plasterboard the whole room, plus it'll give you a chance to see where all the woodwork/joists etc are, plus you can insulate, but it all depends on what the customer is willing to pay for.

Roughcaster.

agree RC, inch wide timbers don't give you nay room for error :eek: would be made MUCH easier by actually seeing timber you're fixing too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks fellas,

aye it would be better to remove all and reboard everywhere, but she's worried about the mess and the cost. So reboarding the ceiling and leaving the walls is going to be the cheapest solution for her. What should i do about the gaps between wall and ceiling???

Thanks in advance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back