Papering over fibreboard!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm redecorating a room for someone and i've just had a look, it don't look pretty!

The wall paper has partly stripped (hacked) off and has revealed the whole room is boarded up with fibreboard. The wall won't be a problem to reline but the ceiling might be...

Where the fibreboards meet up it looks like there use to be jointing tape system like in drylining walls, notice i said use to be! This has been hacked off pulling the surface of the fibreboard off with it and left the brittle part of the fibreboard exposed. Now the ceiling moves with little effort and may need a few nails with large heads to secure it a bit better, but i'll need to get rid of the joints.

Questions:

is it possible to do using jointing compound and tape??

Can a filler be applied if i pva it? (I'm assuming not but you never know if there is a new product out?!)

Personally i'd strip the whole lot out a reboard it with plaster board, but i know for a fact they can't afford it. Bless her, the woman who owns the house is 89 and just lost her husband and i'm doing it for her daughter to move in and look after her. So, it needs to be cheap but has to look good.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Use screws if possible in place of nails, tape joints then skim with Easyfill then line the ceiling with Wallrock paper (twice if need be) , you can paper over this or paint it direct.

LJW61, is that with jointing tape? And, will easyfill stick to fibreboard?

Thanks in advance

Ah..fiberboard ..Funny old stuff - tends to be a tad flexible(depending on thickness) -but you can deal with it as you would plasterboard if you can secure it soundly & then treat it with PVA before taping,filling & lining. Wallrock, once dry , is pretty good at 'pulling together' slightly 'loose' ceilings etc.

Sponsored Links
Try to make the joints as stable as possible with minimum movement then use jointing tape if you can with a couple or three thin skims of easyfill each one progressively wider to 'feather out' the taped joint ..The wallrock is pretty thick & will help even things out even more .You could if need be add another cross-lining of walrock or 1400/1700 grade lining paper over the first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back