Middle Foundation for 7m wide 2 room extension

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be getting a structural engineer / techie drawer to do this, but just trying to work out approx costs of building before ordering the drawings.

I will be building about 8m wide, which will be partitioned to create a thin kitchen (about 3m) and a living room (about 4m). The extension will be somewhere around 6-8m deep.

Would it be better (and maybe cheaper?) to have a foundation for the partition wall, rather than span concrete beams across the 7.5mish gap? Having the foundation will allow a block wall too (although, maybe can do on suspended block and beam floor anyway?) which will be handy for hanging kitchen cabinets and TVs on each side.

The big question is, is it needed? If I had a well insulated stud wall, then maybe no foundation needed, but I was wondering if the the larger beams needed would actually be more expensive than digging and filling another foundation trench.

Sponsored Links
Yes a middle wall will be essential for non-trampolining floor beams, takes away the need for a crane and will go on to support the roof.
As per Freddie - why bonkers floor beams and not a slab?

TBH, I thought I'd have to have them! Can I put down a slab even though the existing sub-floor has air bricks - its a 1930s bungalow with suspended timber floor. I had an extension done on my last house, and was told (by architect) that it needed suspended block and beam to carry on the air flow.

If slab is easier, more stable and cheaper, then I'd certainly go for that!

Sponsored Links
MInd you, can you have air bricks running the other way? It's a long bungalow, going front to back. The survey suggested more air bricks (something about distance apart). Surely, if air bricks were on the sides, they wouldn't also need to be on the front and back? The air won't care will it?

I won't be using the same one again this time!

update....
30762852_10156393025918980_3799150726546980864_o.jpg

My criticism is; why have you built the remaining 300mm, up to ground level, in block and not (engineering) brick?

Full marks for tamped sub-slab though.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back