Miele Dishwasher filling and draining repeatedly (F12)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a miele G4203 dishwasher which has started giving an F12 error, which means it thinks it's not getting enough water in to it. I've checked the small filter on the Miele intake hose assembly thing and cleaned it and put it back together, but it was perfectly fine with no blockage.

When I run the machine it runs for ages slowly filling up with water until the bottom is full and then it drains the water. The sump drains the water away fine. It keeps trying until it eventually throws the F12 error.

I found a youtube video that perfectly describes the problem here
but it's not my dishwasher and mine looks different.
It doesn't have a flow sensor near the bottom of this large water intake side panel. It has one halfway up, and I have checked the wheel spins freely and I removed the reed switch and it worked correctly using a multimeter and a magnet.

However when I try to run the dishwasher water is flowing around this water intake panel and the wheel spins, I'm confused by this strange waterfall and can't really tell how it's supposed to work. The water seems to be falling towards the air intake vent where the hot air comes out on a dry cycle. This is confusing me but it's clearly designed for water to maybe go down there.
I also tested the diode/float switch on the salt dispenser tank and that works ok.

I made a video of the strange waterfall contraption operating.

I found the Parts diagram for the Miele G4203 https://www4.miele.de/msd/MSD#/device/42135/etd/1932715692801/

This is a view of underneath my dishwasher where you can see water coming through the bottom of the intake.

If there is anyone who knows about these strange machines and could give me a hint as to what is going on, please do so :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've not had a look at the first video so apologies if I'm repeating what's already posted.

F12 is registered during water intake from mains supply problems. The machine detects whether the right amount of water has been taken on by recording pulses from the flow meter reed switch. These measurements are only made during first few seconds of water intake. There's a permanent magnet stuck onto the shaft of the flow meter wheel, is it possible this has become detached?

Things to check are:

- the water supply flow via the intake valve (doesn't look like a problem in your case)
- the flow meter reed switch (I think you checked this already but is it actually providing pulses when it is fitted to the machine in the normal position and during water intake?)
- the wires/continuity to and from the flow meter reed switch

I'm not an expert but reading the documentation, this plastic contraption is used to measure and mix intake with softener salts.

Please show us the route taken by the drain hose. How high does it loop up?

Hi everyone,

I have a miele G4203 dishwasher which has started giving an F12 error, which means it thinks it's not getting enough water in to it. I've checked the small filter on the Miele intake hose assembly thing and cleaned it and put it back together, but it was perfectly fine with no blockage.

When I run the machine it runs for ages slowly filling up with water until the bottom is full and then it drains the water. The sump drains the water away fine. It keeps trying until it eventually throws the F12 error.

I found a youtube video that perfectly describes the problem here
but it's not my dishwasher and mine looks different.
It doesn't have a flow sensor near the bottom of this large water intake side panel. It has one halfway up, and I have checked the wheel spins freely and I removed the reed switch and it worked correctly using a multimeter and a magnet.

However when I try to run the dishwasher water is flowing around this water intake panel and the wheel spins, I'm confused by this strange waterfall and can't really tell how it's supposed to work. The water seems to be falling towards the air intake vent where the hot air comes out on a dry cycle. This is confusing me but it's clearly designed for water to maybe go down there.
I also tested the diode/float switch on the salt dispenser tank and that works ok.

I made a video of the strange waterfall contraption operating.

I found the Parts diagram for the Miele G4203 https://www4.miele.de/msd/MSD#/device/42135/etd/1932715692801/

This is a view of underneath my dishwasher where you can see water coming through the bottom of the intake.

If there is anyone who knows about these strange machines and could give me a hint as to what is going on, please do so :)
Hello, I got this exact issue a couple days ago and am trying to fix it, have you had any luck yet? My dishwasher makes the exact same noise as yours, so if you have found a solution would you mind sharing it? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Yes, i decided to replace the flow meter with a brand new one from Miele even though the old one appeared to work, it's hard to tell if it was working properly since the wheel spins fast.
It took 4 days to arrive but has fixed the issue completely.

It's an easy replacement. You have to remove the top then the left side panel. Use the video i linked in the first post to replace the flow meter, it's just half way up the plastic waterfall instead of at the bottom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back