Miele tumble dryer GALA T 495 C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tumble dryer has been working fine for half a year now with no serious problems. Today the dryer trips the fuse on the first direction change of the drum. Until then it spins, heats as it would normally.

Has anyone any idea what the problem may be?

All help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi there in Hungary, nice to hear from someone overseas.

Is this a vented or condenser dryer?
Suspect its the timer dial control unit but can't rule out other possibilities.
How old is the dryer (not how long you have owned it).
Is it stored indoors or in a shed/garage?

We have a T495c and when it reverses the fan at the bottom turn on. I think this fan draws ambient air through the condenser. You may want to check this.

It's a condenser dryer and indoors, I'm not sure how old it is, and can't check at the moment, but it will surely be above ten years.

I checked all filters, including the condenser, but found nothing.

I called the guy I bought it from, who said it may be a closure in the heater that can be caused by anything conductive. He said that the heater turns on on the first direction change, so it sounds logical. But I haven't had the time to start taking it appart. I understand that the drum has to be removed to get to the heater...

Sponsored Links
Usually the heater is switched off by the timer whilst the drum rotates anticlockwise and switched on when turning clockwise. So if its tripping whenever the drum turns clockwise then yes most likely a faulty heater.
Remove the top cover and observe direction of rotation (looking at the dryer from the front).

Look up a replacement heating element, is it a ring or a wire element?
If a ring, then yes most probably have to remove the drum, if a wire element then unlikely You have to.
If its a wire element theres usually a few screws on the rear panel that removes a domed plate that gives access to the heating element.

Thank you all for the effort you put into this question.
We needed to move from where the dryer is, so I didn't have a chance to check the above suggested.

Next time I get to it I will check if the heater is a ring or wire.

I'll post the outcome.

All the best!

Please do report back as its always nice to hear how the problem was resolved.
Even if you decide just to dump it and get a replacement.

I only had time to check the back of the dryer and unfortunately found no screwable plate, so it must be a ring heater.

If I get around to it, I'll take it apart. That may only be in a few months : )

Are there any tips tricks, things to look out for when taking out the drum?

I'm about to take apart the dryer to check if there is anything stuck in the heater.
Hope things will go well : )
Will post if I get anywhere with it...

Always a good idea to take photos, gives a good reference to where things go back especially if its left in pieces for some considerable time before you get to fix it back together.

Whilst you have access be a good idea to test what you can with a meter.

I would like to open the whole front side as I saw on a photo, but don't know which screws to unscrew.
Can you give some help please?

A friend of mine, had the idea to disconnect the heater from the electric panel, see if it still trips, or goes on, both directions, it seems like a good idea.

Can't advise how to disassemble as they differ between makes but yes disconnect heater wires(ensure they are well insulated from eachother and the casing) and see if it still trips.
If you knew which wires are for the heater you could disconnect them from the front fascia control panel..

It seems that the problem was no other then an old fuse in the house where the problem occured.
I brought the dryer to our new home and tried, it now runs perfectly.

Of course I first spent some time searching for ways to get to the heater, and solve the problem I thought I had : )

While testing what the problem could be, I found that there was no problem at all.

Thanks again for all of your help and effort, it was good to get replies so quickly!

I wish you all the best, and hope your problems solve as easy as mine did...

Hello again!

Our dryer was working fine for the past year, we used it almost daily with no issues until recently.
It starts fine, spins, but when it reverses it's direction it doesn't start to heat, and stays cold leaving clothes wet.

I thought it would be worth checking the thermostat but don't know where it is, and how to get to it.
Any ideas on what could be the cause of the problem, or where to find the thermostat would be much appreciated.

Have you done any maintenance in the last year of use?
There are probably 2 thermostats and a cut out stat.
1 thermostat and cut out fitted near/on heating element and another stat fitted somewhere around the front drum housing or inside the fluff filter housing.
The 2 stats cut in and out according to temp but the cut out is most likely a one trip device i.e does not reset in the event of over-heating.

Overheating could be caused by fluff build up inside ducting etc, or overloading drum and laundry blocking fluff filter/air flow.

Another possibility is that the heating element is shorted in the windings (either faulty element or debris shorted across windings shorting it out), not enough to trip fuse but enough to only heat slightly but nowhere near enough to dry clothes or even heat them.

Is the water collection tray at the bottom or at the top? If at the top there must be a pump that pumps water up a tube into the water tank. Is the pump functioning? Regardless of where the empty water collection tank is located there will also be a float switch at the bottom in the water reservoir, if the float is stuck in the up position the heating element will remain switched off!
If the empty water tank is at the bottom check that the valve is working, it could be blocked preventing water flow from the water reservoir into the emptt water tank.

Photos may assist if you need further assistance.
Regards
Yardie

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back