Miele W562 Prestige Plus 6: Uneven brush wear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a rather frustrating issue with our Miele W562 washing machine.

It ran just outside of it's warranty ( 3 years ish ) and we got the dreaded three lines and flashing rinse light. After some googling it became apparent it might be the carbon brushes. I stripped it down and sure enough one of the brushes was worn down. The other looked like it had plenty of carbon left. I replaced the pair (not with Miele) and they lasted 7 - 12 months before I got the exact same error. Stripped it down and low and behold, the same brush on the same side as last time, had worn down again. Replaced the pair.. 7 - 12 months later, same issue, replaced the pair... you can get the picture. I can change the brushes pretty quickly now :)

This evening I've got the same error again. I'm now on my fourth set of brushes. Same side. Only one ever wears down.. Last time I blew out all the black carbon dust with my air compressor (from a distance) to make sure it's all clean. Same issue.

We spent quite a lot of money on this washing machine (a few years ago) and found that so far.. it's failed more times than our old Zanussi did (which I still keep as a spare for when the Miele breaks down). Any advice on the problem is greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Phil.

Sponsored Links
It would seem you have more pressure on one side than the other, can you cut a couple of coils off the springs on the side that is wearing prematurely?

It would seem you have more pressure on one side than the other, can you cut a couple of coils off the springs on the side that is wearing prematurely?
That's an idea. I did wonder if it was an alignment issue with the motor causing uneven pressure on one side of the brushes. I replaced the worn out brush last night.. Next time I might cut a bit off the spring

Thanks,
Phil.

That's an idea. I did wonder if it was an alignment issue with the motor causing uneven pressure on one side of the brushes. I replaced the worn out brush last night.. Next time I might cut a bit off the spring

Thanks,
Phil.
Possibly, or even just the brush holders not mounted the same distance from the com.

Sponsored Links
When you look at the brush holder from the front is it the right brush (that is mounted slightly higher than the left brush) that has worn out prematurely?

I too have this problem. My W562 ran for 6 years with original brushes and the second pair (admittedly not Miele originals) lasted only 10 months. In both cases only one of the brushes was worn down until it no longer contacted the commutator (same brush both times). Attached is a photo of the commutator. Not sure if it is particularly worn but reluctant to replace as I know that will be a lot more than the cost of replacing brushes.

If anyone has any suggestions, it might enable me to get my brushes to last a bit longer!

Attachments

• COMM3.jpg
    COMM3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 800
Try replacing the two 0.01uF 275V X2 rated capacitors in the brush-carrier. There's one connected to each brush to deck.

That com could do with a good clean up, its a little worn--but seen a lot worse....

Alastair

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a bit of superficial cleaning but it's difficult to do a lot without removing the motor (which I was keen to avoid). Any tips of how to do more to clean it appreciated for the next time I have the machine open. Currently have fingers crossed that machine may last longer this time!

TBH--The new brushes themselves will probably clean up the com to a certain extent. The issue really is, when the brush loses tension at the end of its life, arcing will cause pitting of the copper segments--small but it leaves the com surface a little rough....

Suggest, run the machine for some months, then change the brushes again along with those two caps in the plastic brush holder/frame.

Jewellers method for that job would be pull the motor, dismantle it, spin the armature in a lathe to clean/true it up and re-undercut the segments followed by a final polish...
But--Thats a whole load of work!

Very helpful. Will go with your first suggestion I think!

I have exactly the same issue with the same model W562. Just cleaning up the commutator now and about to fit brush set no. 3 after approx 7 years. Just as with @Finnkai the first set lasted about 6 years. The second set about 18 months. It was the same brush both times that was 50% more worn, the same one that @RichardMNZ describes. Is this significant I wonder?
Do genuine Miele brushes last longer? I doubt it would make much difference.
Anyone have any suggestions for what's the best method for cleaning commutators? Any chemicals/lubes etc. make any difference?
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20160419_111755.jpg
    IMG_20160419_111755.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 564
Hi Smosher,
My w/m is still running but it's only been 5 months so far on the 3rd set of brushes. My plan is to try the replacement capacitor idea if and when they go next time. I don't really fancy taking the motor out and am prepared if absolutely necessary to replace brushes instead. It is interesting that quite a few of these machines exhibit this particular problem, though and it would be great if someone got to the bottom of it.

Hi Finnkai,
I agree. A pattern of failure usually emerges with mechanical stuff over time doesn't it? I'm still a Miele fan when it comes to WM though, despite this glitch. I think I will email this guy http://www.youfixit.eu/en/who I have exchanged chat with in the past. He speaks better English than my Dutch and always gives excellent feedback. He thought I had a motor problem last time I contacted him re brushes. I had even got as far as removing the PCB before changing the brushes (what a numpty! I'm dangerous with a screwdriver) Now I seem to have some more evidence that it's 'not just me' and my Prestige Plus 6; no doubt he has had plenty more contact from the rest of the EU and he might give us some more tips? I'll get back to you...:)

Hi @Finnkai and all others who are still interested. I emailed Peter Stuart at http://www.youfixit.eu/en/
He replied within minutes! I have attached the text of his reply as a pdf. Very interesting stuff!

Attachments

• youfixit.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 985
Hi Smosher,

Thanks for posting this. As you say, the explanation from Peter is very interesting and seems pretty authoritative. However, if I have understood the information he provides correctly, all the "permanent" solutions will involve removing the motor and call for considerable expense (many times the cost of the replacement brushes) and could leave you without a functioning w/m for quite some time.

Option A is that you (a) remove your existing motor, (b) send it to Holland to get a new motor core installed and (c) refit the modified motor yourself - estimated cost of €189 + shipping. All the time this work is being done your w/m is in pieces.

Option B (simplest but most expensive): buy a new motor (complete with the improved commutator) and replace your "old type" motor for €225 + shipping. If you bought the new motor before the brush problem re-occurs you would be ready to fix the problem straight away or do the replacement at a time that was convenient. This way you are not left without a w/m.

Finally, Option C (the cheapest): if you are prepared to take your old motor to pieces and fit a new core yourself (which involves you transferring the "old" tachometer and brush cap), you can buy the core for €149 from Holland. But this approach requires considerable self-confidence and could leave you with an unreliable or non-functioning w/m if you don't manage the rebuild successfully.

I would need to think this over very carefully. My current thought is that if I were to do anything to provide a more permanent fix, I would probably choose to pay the €225 for the sake of least risk and the ability to carry out the repair when I wanted to.

I do like the Miele w/m and it has been very reliable apart from this one problem. However is it really worth investing this much money in a machine that is now 7 years old when the alternative seems to be simply to buy and fit replacement brushes every 12-18 months?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back