Miele W865 Motor repair help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The bearings on our W865's motor have gone and I am trying to replace them. I have successfully replaced the one closest the commutator but having difficulty replacing the one at the other end of the shaft.

To get at the other one, you need to remove the belt pulley, which is held in place by a screw with a torx head. Whilst trying to remove the screw, the torx wrench slipped and damaged the torx head.

I've tried cutting a slot into the screw and using a flat blade screwdriver to unscrew it, but it just isn't budging. To make it worse, I'm not even sure which way the thread goes.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The screw is fitted with loctite thread-lock. Before trying to remove it you need to heat it with a blowlamp/heat-gun or similar. This allows the screw to be removed easily (otherwise you damage the torx profile as you found out). Only thing you can do now is to heat it as above & use a centre-punch & hammer. Once that is out & the shaft has cooled down you need to use a bearing-puller & more heat. Be aware that the shaft/pulley is a cone fitting....& it is TIGHT. Apply pressure on the bearing puller then stand well to the side before heating it. When it comes off it comes off with a bang....you don't want to be standing in front of it :eek:
P.S. the thread is conventional...turn anticlockwise to remove it.

Hi Zipper, many thanks for your reply!

Whilst I was waiting for a response, I tried drilling out the existing screw and this must have weakened it enough, as I was then able to remove it using the flat blade screwdriver, and as you said, I used a bearing puller to remove both the pulley and faulty bearing.

Thanks again! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
The old Loctite on the screw trick. must remember that when pulling down expensive machines. Thanks for the tip!

My friend has a W828 model and couldn't wait for me to go and have a look at the machine, so called a Miele mechanic to repair her machine. He said the motor is burnt out and not worth repairing. In all the forums I've looked at I haven't seen any mention of a u/s motor. (I'll inspect it over the w/end) Any suggestions on a cost effective repair if it is the case

Miele have used this motor design since the year dot. It has changed very little over the years & it is a hardy little beast. I guess they never found the need to re-invent the wheel....one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" things. But even Miele motors break down every now & then. Usually it is just the brushes, on rare occasions an armature short. There were also some rare issues on older W series washers whereby a bad contact on the 10Mohm resistor in the motor brush assembly caused a short in the motor circuit, which ended up blowing the reversing relay on the pcb. A visual check isn't enough to confirm a motor fault (unless it is fried). But if in doubt you could always ask a motor rewind shop to test the armature & fields for you. I have seen many motors condemned & the fault ended up being something else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back