Electric motor bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a new member and hope this is the right forum. Apolgies if it isn't. I've partly dismantled the electric motor from my Flymo mower in order to replace a bearing; there is clearly some play on the shaft. The problem is trying to remove the pully on the end of the motor.
As can be seen from the picture, to get to the bearing I need to remove the pulley. I assume the pulley is screwed on, but left or right-hand thread? The difficulty is being able to grip the shaft at the other end while applying pipe wrench to the pulley. Is it possible that it is not threaded? I can't apply any heat because of the plastic housing and fan. If I can remove the pulley, I can replace the bearing for less than a fiver; a new motor is about £40! Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have thought the pulley was screwed on. It will need to be got off first with a bearing puller (2 legged probably suffice). Check for grub screws.
The fan will need carefully levering off but shouldn't be too tight a fit.

You probably can replace the bearing at a cost of less than £5 but the time and effort taken is just not worth it. The pulley is heat shrunk on and though you may be lucky and get it off with a pair of bearing pullers, (if you have a set, if not then extra expense), in my experience you usually need some fast heat using oxy-acetylene. Using a plumbers blowtorch won't work as the heat transfer to the shaft is too rapid.
In the long run you would be better off getting a new motor. I've just replaced my flymo 350 with its supposed equivalent for £67 from Argos. I work in the electric motor business and couldn't be bothered with the hassle after the bearings on mine siezed.

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a new motor. I just don't like scrapping something when the faulty part is, in theory, cheap to replace. But it just seems that this is how things are put together now.
I hope the new motor is delivered soon because all this rain is making the grass grow very fast!

Sponsored Links
In that case why did you buy a cheap and nasty mower?

I don't consider something 'cheap and nasty' if it gave me 10 years of good service considering the only maintenance it got was to have its bottom scraped after each mowing. :LOL:

Is it ironic that something you only ever scraped, must now be scrapped?

Is it ironic that something you only ever scraped, must now be scrapped?

Only because of my laziness. I work with motors every day so don't want to tinker/fiddle with them when I get home, and besides, it cost me £59.99 over 10 years ago so I think it lasted very well for the way it was treated over that time. I'm not complaining.

You seem to be answering questions that were intended for severn.

I thought the motor was on the way out in my Flymo, when it began struggling with even short grass.

Turned out the clutch that applies the brake when you release the handles just needed some grease - now it performs like new & actually hovers again!

You seem to be answering questions that were intended for severn

Please accept my apologies dear sir, I mistakenly thought they were directed at me.

(Still friends? :LOL: :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back