1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Countax mower, cant remove deck pulleys

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Peter.N., 11 Oct 2021.

1. Peter.N.

Peter.N.

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As above K18 42" deck. bearing seized on small front blade, successfully removed and new bearings fitted but the two larger blades cannot remove the pulleys, removed the bolts, pulleys only appeared to be a push fit with a key but I can't move them.

They are not rusted as far as I can see, have applied liberal amounts of penetrating fluid and tried levering them, solid. Used a bearing puller and only succeeded in bending the pulleys, have tried hitting the top of the shaft with a large hammer and drift and applying heat, moved a fraction but that's all.

Help!

Peter

2. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm almost certain these are just parallel shafts with a key Peter - no tapers around. I apply significant pressure with my 2 or 3 legged puller, apply heat with my Mapp gas torch and then strike the end of the puller shaft....have you tried that?
    It may take a day or so with the penetrating oil if it still won't budge.
    Regards
    John :)

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Peter.N.

Peter.N.

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks John

I thought if anyone knew you would:) . I have applied some heat but only with a plumbing torch. The first one came off with no trouble at all, I was only going to change one as it had seized up, did that one OK, then spun the others and the noise indicated they needed doing as well. I did the puller up really tight and its bent the pulley:(.

Peter

5. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pulleys for these are around the £30 mark - I guess you may have to cut it off if the damage is significant.
    For me, I’d wind the puller on again tightly and get more heat in there.....but of course you may damage the bearing grease seals.
    It looks like you are at the point of no return!
    John :)

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Peter.N.

Peter.N.

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your optimism John.:unsure: I do have an ancient carbon ark brazing tool that I used with my welder many years ago, I might try that tomorrow, if I can find it, although my auto dimming mask seems to have packed up.:(.

Peter