Miele WM doesn't always turn on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My mum's Miele WDA111 doesn't always turn on when she presses the power button on the front panel. On a couple of occasions she has found that unplugging it and plugging it back in helps. Other time it is fine.

A few weeks ago I pulled it out from under the worktop with a view to fitting a longer flex. In the process I forgot to unplug it from the mains. The neutral female spade connector popped off and hit the live inside the machine. A couple of weeks later I fitted the new longer flex and pressed the start button to test it. It turned on but at the time I thought it odd that they was a slight delay before the LED lit up.

The following image shows the arcing that occurred.

20201129_093032.jpg

The component seems to be an interference suppressor. Does it have a capacitor inside it that may have been damaged by the arching? I have no idea what is wrong with the machine and my lay knowledge made me think that the delay and refusal to turn on might be capacitor related.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn’t the delay have been caused by a poor connection on the spade terminal?

Check all connections are tight from fused spur to power socket to plug. Check fuse is clean and tight in fused spur or plug.. Start with the simple things. Turn power off first at main fuse box

The new female spades seem to be pretty tight. The arching was only visible on the old female spades and not the male spade on the component.

Sponsored Links
Check all connections are tight from fused spur to power socket to plug. Check fuse is clean and tight in fused spur or plug.. Start with the simple things. Turn power off first at main fuse box

It's a new flex with a new plug and crimps. At no point does it turn itself off when in use so I don't think the problem is related to the flex.

It's a new flex with a new plug and crimps. At no point does it turn itself off when in use so I don't think the problem is related to the flex.
Wrong. I've known lose connection melt fused spurs over months and random fuse trips. It's fine when it gets going as tiny sparks weld the joint on only for it to lose connection when turned off. Pulls a load of amps. Check screws are tight in all power sockets connecting just to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back