Might have messed up grouting steel column base plate, help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today was the last part of my steel beam installation. I created plywood shutters around the goalpost column base plate at 50mm x 50mm and the column base plate is 30mm x 30mm. There was about 16mm space underneath the base plate.

I had 1 bag of weber 5 star grout which my plan was to use 2/5ths to pour the grout underneath the column and 3/5ths to dry pack the bearing plate into the wall.

I mixed the grout using the with 5 litres of water to 25kg of grout powder but using 2 litres of water and 2/5ths of the bag.

Here's where I mess up. I thought the mix was *too* runny so I added more powder than I measured, because more is always better right?

Anyway now it comes to the pour and the grout does not fully flow into the shutter, so I have to pour in 3 separate locations and use a spatula to try and force it to go under the base plate.

My fear is that it has not flowed all the way under the base plate. The plate has a 100mm x 100mm column welded in the middle so if that part is not completely supported, the load of the entire column would essentially be on the 5mm steel base plate rather than transfer the load to the foundation.

What should I do? Its been about 5 hours since I poured the grout, and if i go to the property tomorrow morning, it will be about 18 or so hours. So not fully cured but not far off.

Should I try to break the grout off and re do it?

Should I drill a hole in the base plate next to the column to see if it flowed there?

Should I use 2 part resin and squeeze it under the plate if the hole shows a gap?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back