Might this extension have been built using aerated concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents had this extension built in the early 1980s and I remember my Dad wasn't very impressed with the quality of the work at the time.

With all the recent news about aerated concrete being used around that time in public buildings, I was wondering if there's any chance that this extension might have been built using it and whether we need to get it checked to make sure it's not going to collapse?

My Dad said something about it being very hard to drill into recently when he was explaining why he'd probably need to get a professional in to replace the external door rather than doing it himself, so maybe that points away from it being aerated?

The third photo shows a crack that I noticed to the right of the doorframe, but that may just be superficial.

Attachments

• Rear wall of utility room.jpg
    Rear wall of utility room.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Utility Room outside concrete wall.png
    Utility Room outside concrete wall.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • Crack in outside wall near door.png
    Crack in outside wall near door.png
    988.6 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
I thought the stuff in the news relates to large buildings using big concrete prefab/panel systems. Pretty unlikely that extensions built from it. Aerated conc blocks (or any other concrete block) aren’t the same thing and are used everywhere

I believe that RAAC is basically prefab slabs used to build buildings quickly and cheaply. Often used for roofs.
Mainly used by large building contractors bunging up large projects for councils.

Difficulty in drilling would indicate lack of correct tools rather than a problem with materials

Sponsored Links
Difficulty in drilling would indicate lack of correct tools rather than a problem with materials
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that it indicated a problem with the concrete, rather the opposite in fact, that it might indicate that the concrete is solid and not aerated.

I thought the stuff in the news relates to large buildings using big concrete prefab/panel systems. Pretty unlikely that extensions built from it. Aerated conc blocks (or any other concrete block) aren’t the same thing and are used everywhere
Ok thanks, that's reassuring.

I believe that RAAC is basically prefab slabs used to build buildings quickly and cheaply. Often used for roofs.
Mainly used by large building contractors bunging up large projects for councils.
Yeah, I'd heard something about roofs collapsing but wasn't sure if it might have been used for walls as well.

This extension wasn't built using prefab slabs though, so it sounds like I don't need to worry.

The drama relates to long span floor and roof panels typically found on public and commercial buildings, not blocks used in domestic extension walls.

It's so serious, that one report states that obese patients in affected hospitals are being moved to the ground floor.

The drama relates to long span floor and roof panels typically found on public and commercial buildings, not blocks used in domestic extension walls.

It's so serious, that one report states that obese patients in affected hospitals are being moved to the ground floor.
In the pictures that I have seen they seem to be using plywood and acrow props to hold up the affected concrete, I haven't seen anywhere using obese patients to provide support?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back