Migrants tend to be healthier than the indigenous population.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting little snippet of information. It blows holes in the usual sniping about immigrants using up NHS services, and not paying.

research shows that migrants globally tend to be healthier than the host population. However, this “healthy migrant effect” wanes with longer duration of residence, possibly as lifestyles change to mirror the majority population.

shows that people who migrate tend to be healthier than others.

Another nail in the urban mythology about immigration costs UK more than it earns.

Sponsored Links
Harmonised condensed classification seems a bit odd.
Travellers for example are known to have lower life expectancy (about 10 years) add to the fact that people living in wealthy countries tend to be more obese and prone to other ailments. Then take account that it says the benefit is short lived as people adjust their lifestyle.

This of course has nothing to do with Illegal immigrants sneaking over with everything from diphtheria to tuberculosis.

Sponsored Links
Harmonised condensed classification seems a bit odd.
Just simplifying 18 ethnic groups down to 5 for the report. :rolleyes:
If you need further explanation, just ask.

Travellers for example are known to have lower life expectancy (about 10 years) add to the fact that people living in wealthy countries tend to be more obese and prone to other ailments. Then take account that it says the benefit is short lived as people adjust their lifestyle.
I don't think that people adjust their lifestyles that quickly, especially in the food they eat, alcohol and tobacco consumption, etc.
As the report says:
However, this “healthy migrant effect” wanes with longer duration of residence, possibly as lifestyles change to mirror the majority population.
Which basically means the migrants become less healthy and more like the indigenous. :rolleyes:
Fitting in, some like to call it. :rolleyes:

This of course has nothing to do with Illegal immigrants sneaking over with everything from diphtheria to tuberculosis.
Who suggested it was?
Oh yes, it was you who connected the two separate issues.
But now you have, no-one is denying that there has been one case of diphtheria at Manston, where 4,000 were 'accommodated instead of the 1,500 it was designed for. Who's fault was that?
During the autumn, thousands of people had been placed in tents there, leading to overcrowding and disease.
Then the Government sent those potentially ill refugees all over the country to spread the disease further. Who's fault was that?

TB screening is required for visitors' visas to UK for longer than 6 months, from certain countries. You would think that screening of refugees for TB would be part of the process for refugees. To not screen refugees, and demand screening from visa applicants is nonsense. Unless the refugees are not from those countries for which TB screening is not required.

The refugees are supposed to be treated humanely, you would have thought that could include, even a cursory medical exam.

But the overall observation is that migrants are more healthy than the indigenous population, so the urban mythology about migrants clogging up NHS etc is exactly that: incorrect urban mythology, put about by those xenophobes who seek to demonise migrants.

Judging by all the British tradesmen queuing up for their Greggs sausage rolls every day……..

I think they lose the science with the grouping. There are plenty of other studies that show a different picture.

Covid certainly seemed to do a number of the less physically fit along with black and Asian males who were massively over represented in the mortality rate.

I think they lose the science with the grouping.
Of course you do. They don't. :rolleyes:
You're having difficulty dealing with the 5 groups, and you prefer that the survey looked at 18 groups? :rolleyes:

There are plenty of other studies that show a different picture.
There are outliers in all issues. It doesn''t change the picture at all. You just picked a survey of adults, and highlighted one ethnicity, who happened to be different to the indigenous population on one factor. :rolleyes: It doesn't change the overall picture.

Covid certainly seemed to do a number of the less physically fit along with black and Asian males who were massively over represented in the mortality rate.
Despite the inequalities that existed prior to the pandemic the overall picture remains the same, migrants tend to be healthier than the indigenous population.
Health inequalities were wide and widening before the pandemic, and covid-19 has greatly amplified these inequalities.
The pandemic exacerbated the inequalities.

I think it's odd to say Arabs and Chinese people are the same Ethnic group.

I also think we are ignoring 2 massive factors.

It's based on self identification and there are massive holes in the ability to link the data for migrants (as per section 9 of the study).

Of course what it doesn't show is that Migrants proportionally consume fewer NHS resources before they've paid in. Which I think was one of the OPs claims. To know that we'd need to look at the NHS' patient demographic and apply that back to population.

I suspect that there are plenty of people who are neither registered on the census or have a GP.

I think it's odd to say Arabs and Chinese people are the same Ethnic group.
They aren't and the report does not suggest that they are. The report harmonises and condenses the 18 groups into just 5, and does so by grouping the similar factors of the health indexes.

I also think we are ignoring 2 massive factors.

It's based on self identification and there are massive holes in the ability to link the data for migrants (as per section 9 of the study).
Are you suggesting that the people involved in the study are not aware of their own ethnicity? :rolleyes:
They reported their ethnicity for the 2011 census, not for a medical study. Thus the medical study and the ethnicity allocation were not connected.
A direct link could be used if ethnicity was recorded at the time of death, but there is no recording of ethnicity on death. (It's a bit difficult for dead people to self-identify their ethnicity :rolleyes: ) So the study cross referenced one collection of data with another. Where there was a discrepancy in the amount of data collected, a weighting mechanism was applied, to even out the data. For sure, you could argue that no direct correlation can be made. The report did specify "migrants tend to be healthier than the native population".
It's those few words that destroys the false urban myth that immigrants take more NHS, etc resources.

Of course what it doesn't show is that Migrants proportionally consume fewer NHS resources before they've paid in. Which I think was one of the OPs claims. To know that we'd need to look at the NHS' patient demographic and apply that back to population.
I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that a healthier segment of the population consume fewer medical resources that the rest.
Moreover, it destroys the myth that immigrants consume more medical resources than the native population.
Let's forget this notion of enjoying the resources before or after you've paid in NI.
NI does not fund the NHS. It is funded from general taxation. Everyone contributes in general taxation.
Additionally, if the migrants are generally healthier than the native population, there is every chance that they will be contributing in Income tax, etc before they need the NHS.
Would you deny children medical treatment because they have not 'paid in'? The argument about immigrants not 'paying in' is an argument based on racist ideology.

I suspect that there are plenty of people who are neither registered on the census or have a GP.
You don't seem to understand how the study was processed. it did not form any direct connection between individual's census form and their medical records. it drew data from two unrelated data records: the census and the death registrations.
The methodology was formed to identify the statistic of deaths due to Covid, by ethnicity.
It then applied that methodology to a period prior to Covid.

It always surprises me how many people smoke in some other countries, even in Europe.

I wonder if immigrants living in UK smoke more than British people.

Sponsored Links
Back