Mildew/mould in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have one room in our house that has a mildew problem. We have a 200-year-old, three story end terrace (solid, thick stone walls) and one bedroom (my daughter's) on the top floor gets a mildew build up on the gable wall. We can clean it down but it returns in a couple of months. None of the other walls in the same bedroom has the problem, neither does any other room in the house, even rooms or landings that share the same gable wall. The problem is across the entire wall surface - not localised.

My first thought is that it's a ventilation problem but I'm not so sure because the house is old and quite draughty. Can anyone suggest any other possible causes and how to remedy it?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the roof ?

Have you checked the pointing on the gable end?

Is there a chimney on the gable end?

Does your daughter prefer her room cold or hot?

Does your daughter ever open her window?

Do you dry clothes in her room?

Great questions! You've got me thinking.

There has been a little leaking of the roof nearby - but the mildew comes during dry weather too. I guess it would take time for the wall to completely dry through.

I haven't checked the pointing. The proximity of the neighbour makes access awkard, and the narrowness of the ginnel between us means the wall is usually fairly well sheltered, but the top of the wall could get weathered. I should try to get up there and check it out.

There is a chimney on the gable. What could be the issue there?

The room is usually quite warm - the loft is well insulated. She doesn't really open her window, but the room *tends" to be well ventilated and we don't dry clothes in there.

Sponsored Links
is the wall stone or been boarded?
is there clothing or furniture up against it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back