mould on DG windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a problem with mould on 2 of the bedroom windows in a terraced house.

This problem is fairly recent and the DG windows have been in for at least 13years.

The windows are kept open a fiar bit as well, and one room has a wall vent which is always open.

I do remember seeing condensation on the windows but I never used to

I have sprayed Dettol Mould&Mildew cleaner on it and cleaned it up and will be steam cleaning the whole window unit as the shuts are dirt as well.

What could be the cause of this?

Sponsored Links
Hi B21playa. First Im no expert by any means, I am only giving you suggestions. I get quite a bit of condensation through winter especially when the gas cooker is on or the wife boiling something or when someone has a shower, it goes straight to my windows, thing is its that cold up here in Aberdeen I keep the windows closed. parrafin is another big cause of condensation, my greenhouse gets it on the cold nights.
Whats causing yours Im not sure but we bought a dehumidifier from a well known store and its great, it wasn`t too dear, about £70, it sits half way down the hall, its only switched on when the wife is cooking but we do leave it on overnight, the windows are now almost bone dry apart from maybe an inch along the bottom of our bedroom window, its a full size patio double door.
Maybe this bit is not good advice but to clean the mould on the window sealant I use neat bleach and a tooth brush, only a little bleach, barely smears it. If the mould is not too bad it will remove it all, I leave it for about 10 mins and occasionally agitate it with the tooth brush, then wipe it well clean afterwards. Its also a great way to clean the grout in the bathroom between the tiles.
Don't get it on the curtains and don't let it settle on the taps, plugs etc because it will tarnish it. Just try a little area first.
Good luck.
Ziggy S.

Sponsored Links
As johnd link suggests, ventilation and if that doesn't work more ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back