min door sizr garage to house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's.. I'm building a new extension on the back of my house that will cover the back wall of the garage.. I want to put a door through but whats the min size?.. its a dwelling and there don't appear to be much about it.. the door i've got is 686 x 1981 x 44... will this be okay or are the reg's that say it must be xxxmm wide?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
not sure about size regs, but I believe it has to be a certified fire door.

There is no minimum width/height but, as above, needs to be a 30 min. fire door with a self-closer. Also, you need a 100mm step down (or raised kerb, or floor slope away from the door.

Yes. Cheers guys. Got all that and a sloping floor in the garage as well. But just need to get 1.2 mtrs worth of appliances against the house wall resulting in there only being room for a 27" door. Don't want building inspection making me take it down as it needs to be 30" min or something! Or saying its actually a fire escape from the garage and as such must be a min of XXX.
You 100% sure :D cheers

Sponsored Links
In a domestic setting, there is no minimum width for fire doors - though obviously different in public- and commercial buildings etc.

The fire door between the garage and house is not intended as a means of escape from the garage - it is intended to protect the house from a fire in the garage.

Ok. Many thanks for that. They do sell them down to 24" but thought they may be intended for pantry doors or something. Although why you'd need a fire door on a cupboard?

Electrical equipment is often stored in hall cupboards. In apartments, these need to be fire-rated so that the escape corridor remains protected

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back