Changing garage door to door and window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

Ive got a friend/customer that wants to change his garage door to a door and window.
Would this need planning and or building regs?

Hes not planning to make it a habitable room, It will still be storage and where he still keeps his washing machine & tumble dryer. He just wants more light and easier access.

The garage is fully attached to the house with a bedroom above it and internal door leading to the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Probably not but how old is the property? Since the 90's onwards or thereabouts property's often have the right to garage convertions removed as part of their original planning permission or more specifically its to ensure the off road parking availability is not diminished.

It had Crittle windows before I changed them so I'm pretty sure its pre-90s, I will get him to check.

When I have worked on garage conversions in the past we have had to do a small footing under the doors, Do you think that is necessary in this case? Obviously a small footing and a bit of DPC would help but I know he is going to want me to do this as cheap as possible.

When i tried to do this on my own 1930's house, I checked with the local building dept and they insisted i went through building regs. He said that removing door access was inadvertently making it habitable. To comply with regs we had to install a sub floor and another skin of block work. However my best friend who lives in a neighboring council (1970's house) had this done with no issues. I recommend you check with your local councils planning dept. They are more than happy to advise on the phone. I believe its much more simpler since they recently relaxed the planning permission for smaller buildings.

Sponsored Links
Gaz, what are building? a bit of lightweight block and rendered or a brick cavity wal timber inner skin or what? How thick is the sla, probably get away with building of the slab but don't blame me if it cracks.

These sound like structural alts so I'm pretty sure building control approval is required.

Planning is a bit more complicated, in general, if the property is a single dwelling (not a flat) PP would not be required provided:

• Materials to be used (for the wall and window/door frames) are of a similar appearance to those of the main dwelling
  • There is not an unusual restriction in place like PD rights being removed from the original permission, a conservation area with particular restrictions, or the property being Listed.

I have only spoke to him on the phone so far about this, I will pop out over the weekend to measure up.
I was planning to recommend just a door/French door with side lights to save the weight and cost of a wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back