Mini Digger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hiring a mini digger for the weekend to scratch about the garden and help clear an old patio etc.

However, I've never driven one before, but i do have good experience in operating a JCB 3cx backhoe.

Question is, are the controls similar? Or will being used to the JCB controls make it even harder to get operate the mini digger?

Anyone use both?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ask the hire company if you can get a test drive, shop around as required to achieve this would be the best bet...pinenot :)

Most experienced operators can swap from one to the other pretty easily, if you're used to the JCB 'X pattern' then a 360 machine is different. Ive driven both but usually use a 360, the 3CX does take me some time to get used to again!

All European 360's should be ISO controls. (The Americans use the SAE pattern.)

ISO pattern:

Left hand left : Slew left
Left hand right : Slew right
Left hand forward : Dipper out
Left hand back : Dipper in

Right hand left : Bucket crowd
Right hand right Bucket dump
Right hand forward : Boom down
Right hand back : Boom up

In order to make machines for the world market most manufacturers fit an easy changeover on the hydraulics to swap from ISO to SAE, had a couple of new Liebherr machines with a large sticker in the cab 'ACHTUNG! CORRECTED CONTROLS!' to warn it had ISO controls. (JCB just like to be different and offer a choice of ISO, SAE joysticks, or standard 'X pattern' sticks with the 3CX....)

Hope this helps, take care, mini's fall over very easily, and wont take the abuse a 3CX will!

We had both a 3CX and a 3 ton 360 and will promise that if you have been on a
3CL or 3CZX for a number of years, then you will be all fingers and thumbs for a good half a day when you jump on a 360.
As you know the controls on a site master are 45, 135, 225 and 315 degrees, where as on a 360 they are zero, 45, 90. 270 degrees.
Put the 3CX out of your mind, and just concentrate hard for the first hour.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
Just to really throw a spanner in, anyone who used one of the earlier generation Hitachi machines will remember the left hand control had the functions reversed, i.e. slew was fore and aft, dipper left and right. (Hitachi were forced to change it to the ISO pattern to keep the European lot happy I think, which also stopped some of the confusion amongst those of us who were frequently using other manufacturers kit as well as Hitachi's!)

I also once came across a MF (Massey Ferguson) with the controls completely reversed, i.e. right lever did left lever functions and vice versa. The boss said he'd bought it for some demolition work, (about all it was any good for), and as I could never get to grips with it I refused to use it! :LOL:

The hire company SHOULD give you a quick lesson when its delivered.

HERTSDRAINAGE2010,

i've left a message for you in the Floors forum: "Which floorboards for 1930's house plus Stairs."

Perhaps you would care to reply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back