Minimising fridge noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a brand new Frigidaire under-counter fridge, with integral ice box, from Currys. It cost about 150 quid, so wasn't an entry level model.

Problem: It is noisy. Not all the time. But every 30 mins or so, the pump starts up and runs for a couple of minutes. Then it stops with a load clunk. This is on a low setting, 2. As I live in a bungalow, the fridge tends to wake me up several times in the night!

Is there anything I can do to minimise the noise? The kitchen is laminate flooring. I plan to place a bit of carpet under the fridge to cut down on vibration. Could I pack some foam somewhere, I wonder?

And the reason why I bought a new fridge? The old Hotpoint was 10 years old and was starting to get a bit noisy! But not as much as the brand new one, though...

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Complain to the shop

Before that
Ensure that the compressor is not touching anything.
Some compressors can be nosier than others.
When the compressor is running you should hear a hum (motor sound) no rattling, if you do check pipe work is not touching anything including itself.
When the compressor turns off there may be a clunk sound, not a bang.

If you move any pipes on the fridge be careful.

It could be you just have a dud, so tell the shop its no acceptable.

Thanks for your reply.
When the compressor is running you should hear a hum (motor sound) no rattling, if you do check pipe work is not touching anything including itself.
When the compressor turns off there may be a clunk sound, not a bang.

It's the hum that is annoying me. Its too loud for a bungalow.
And I am getting a clunk when the pump turns off. Again, it seems too loud.

Mike

it sounds to me that somthing is acting as a sounding board

is it possible to pull it out and sit it just on the floor overnight to rule out the machine as the problem

Sponsored Links
I laid a spirit level across the top. It is not exactly level, but very close. It doesn't wobble.
The laminate floor may act as a sounding board. Which is why I was thinking of putting a piece of carpet underneath. But the old fridge in exactly the same position wasn't as noisy.

I think it's just got a cheaper pump, compared to the old Hotpoint.
Mike

I was surprised about the noise our new fridge freezer makes when running. When it starts up the compressor runs quite loud for a minute or so, before dying down to a low hum.

Its noisy compared to the old one, partly because the old one had the compressor "hidden" in a compartment at the bottom, whereas this one is open to the wall behind. I think part of the reason is also that they make compressors noisier nowadays. I dont think there is any standard to have noise levels printed in big letters on fridge literature either.

Certainly American fridge freezers are very noisy compared to ours, especially older ones.

I took it back to Currys. They offered me an exchange or refund. Pretty good of them, as I didn't have the original packaging. I went for the refund.

I'll think over my options. Maybe a more expensive mode would be quieter. Or maybe not?
Mike

[Follow up from original poster]
So, I took back the 150 quid Frigidaire and bought a 200 quid Zanussi. Surely this would have a quieter compressor, I reckoned?
Yes, slightly. But the fridge is still waking me up in the night as the compressor comes on and "throbs" for 5 mins.

The fridge is currently standing on: laminate flooring of the kitchen + cardboard underlay + carpet tile + thick pile carpet as the top layer!
I thought this would reduce the noise & vibration. But no luck.

Any ideas? I will either have to move the fridge to another room, or move into the spare room at this rate!

Mike

if your fridge in installed like mine, it stands between two other cabinets under a counter.

Try sticking carpet on the two adjacent cabs and the back wall and the underside of the worktop to absorb sound. You still have to have ventilation space of course.

I have an Electrolux System fridge in my utility room (for garden beers). It has no compressor or motor so is silent. I believe this design is also used for hotel minibars. Not all Electrolux branded fridges use this system. I believe it was one of the inventions which fell out of favour.

It may not be as efficient as normal fridges.

Also, if you go to your local library and consult their reference copies of "Which" you will find that noise and vibration are part of their tests. I just had a look at recent tests and surprisingly one of their best buys is the Beko RAP614W at £139 which scores 5 stars for Quietness and vibration

If you tell me the model no. of your other fridges I may be able to look up a test result for them

I notice from the best buys list that the most expensive are not always the best.

Thanks I might try your suggestions. The hum is definitely from the compressor.

The model is Zanussi ZRG614SW.

The noise level is acceptable during daytime hours, but in the quiet of the night I can hear it from the next room, even through a breezeblock wall!

Mike

no test for the ZRG614SW on Which, sorry

there is a Zanussi ZRG616CW which scores 5 stars for noise but had a generally poor test result as it seems underpowered.

no test for the ZRG614SW on Which, sorry

there is a Zanussi ZRG616CW which scores 5 stars for noise but had a generally poor test result as it seems underpowered.

That's the under-counter larder fridge. Mine has an ice box. I suppose ice box fridges will need the compressor pump to operate more frequently.

Underpowered -- Maybe that explains why the compressor keeps coming on, even on a setting of 1.

It only woke me up 3 times last night :)

Thanks for your research.
Mike

I have been looking at the back of the fridge unit.
Would it be safe/beneficial to stuff some insulating foam under and around the compressor unit?
However, I expect the compressor unit might get warm...

Mike

Sorry to keep on about this, but fridges seem to be far too noisy...

Before I went to bed last night, I pulled the fridge out from under the worktop and turned it by 90 degrees. It was resting on a thin kitchen mat on top of the laminate flooring.
Suprisingly, the noise level in the adjacent bedroom was reduced so I could sleep OK.
So, the actual situation of the fridge affects the noise level transmitted to adjacent rooms. Problem is, it's a small kitchen and there is only one "slot" available.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back