minimum bearings on spreader plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

First post for a while but long time reader (reregistered)

Looking for some advice regarding my loft conversion please.

Am just installing spreader plates in my loft gable end walls to support the beams. The engineer has specified 250 x 100mm wide spreader plates which I have.
On cutting into the walls what should have been a 100mm thick block is only 75mm. It appears the brickies have change from 100mm to 75mm at ceiling level.

Now I'm thinking I could just change the lower blocks under the bearing to 100mm, but what about the ridge beam? Do I need to build a pier up to the proposed steel and ruin my nice flush wall line?

The ridge steels are 152 x 152 x 23 and the maximum span of the two (post in the middle) is 3.8 meters

I will run this past BCO on Monday, but was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and has a solution to discuss with the BCO.

Thanks

Archroy

Sponsored Links
Tell the engineer who designed the beam about the reduced wall width, they will be able to advise if a different sized spread plate is required or if the original size is adequate..

Many thanks, Static

I contacted the SE and he said all was fine, just need an increase in pad size to keep the bearing area the same.

Archroy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back