Loft steel beams and mild steel plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help a naive client out…

I’m currently spectating a back-and-forth email exchange between my SE and my builder about the steel beams of my planned loft extension.

Initially, the SE put concrete padstones in the plans. However, my builder queried this because my loft extension is being done above a recently decorated first floor, and the padstones would have meant disrupting the ceilings below.

Then, the SE changed the padstones to mild steel plates. However, he added that:

“…all of the steel plates and steel spreader beams are to be welded with 6mm fillet weld to the steel beams”

Now, my builder has queried that, saying that in 30+ years of doing loft extensions he has never been asked to weld the steels to a mild steel plate, either by an SE or a BC officer. He says he they are always bricked in and repointed and that is sufficient.

I should add that my builder is very experienced and well-reviewed and seems to know his stuff. I have less confidence in the SE, who was somebody I sourced myself through my own searching. However, I am worried that “what the SE says” should be how it is done.

Any thoughts on this?

I can provide information on the lengths of the steels and photos of the plans if useful.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Nonsense; they don't need welding - your builder is correct.
Ask your SE why he is insisting that the beam should be welded to a steel spreader plate, yet not fixed to a concrete padstone.

Nonsense; they don't need welding - your builder is correct.
Ask your SE why he is insisting that the beam should be welded to a steel spreader plate, yet not fixed to a concrete padstone.
That’s a very good point!

Agree with Tony and your builder. The bearing plate replaces the pad stone. The pad stone obviously isn't welded to the beam so why would the bearing plate need to be?

I had a similar situation a while ago where I had a beam bearing directly onto a hollow section lintel over an opening. I didn't show any bolts or welds as there is no need for either. The checking engineer initially insisted that the beams needed to be bolted or welded together, but after some discussion he agreed with me.

Sometimes engineers specify bolting to the pad stone but that's pointless in my opinion too.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Tony and your builder. The bearing plate replaces the pad stone. The pad stone obviously isn't welded to the beam so why would the bearing plate need to be?

I had a similar situation a while ago where I had a beam bearing directly onto a hollow section lintel over an opening. I didn't show any bolts or welds as there is no need for either. The checking engineer initially insisted that the beams needed to be bolted or welded together, but after some discussion he agreed with me.

Sometimes engineers specify bolting to the pad stone but that's pointless in my opinion too.
That’s very useful to know.

Actually, on one of the steels (the biggest), the engineer has asked for SHS (square hollow section?) rather than mild steel plate. I presume that is because it is stronger?

The latest update is my builder seems to have convinced the SE that it is unnecessary to weld the steels to the plates/SHSs.

It’s quite eye-opening how much variation there is around the edges of these decisions - I am from a different industry and naively assumed it was all pretty black and white because of building regulations.

It’s quite eye-opening how much variation there is around the edges of these decisions - I am from a different industry and naively assumed it was all pretty black and white because of building regulations.
LOL - I think a lot in the Building Industry is a million shades of grey!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back