Notched joist into beam or hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Finally got my plans back and am ready to start on my loft. I'm looking to do most of the works myself. The architect has said it would be better to notch the 75mm x 200mm joists into the steel beams as that gives less "bounce". My concern is if I fit the two steel beams 4.8 meters apart, and notch one end of the joist into the steel beam all the way into the central plate of steel beam, how do I get the joist in on the steel at the other end? As there wouldnt be any room if that makes sense?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
gasbusters, good evening.

if I have got it correct?? you are contemplating notching two ends of the joists and fixing them between what are two immovable beams?

I would consider notching all of the joists.

If you then enter one end then the other at an angle you can in effect "stack" the joists up awaiting there move into their final places. There is a chance that you can undertake the above "maneuver" in small groups ? as I see it insertion of the last few may be problematic if you insert and fix the joists you have inserted previously.

Trick is to fit but do not finally fix untill all joists are "fitted" at each end.

Ken

If your going over an existing ceiling you would hang them off the beam, between the existing ceiling joists. That way you get more head height.

gasbusters, good evening.

if I have got it correct?? you are contemplating notching two ends of the joists and fixing them between what are two immovable beams?

I would consider notching all of the joists.

If you then enter one end then the other at an angle you can in effect "stack" the joists up awaiting there move into their final places. There is a chance that you can undertake the above "maneuver" in small groups ? as I see it insertion of the last few may be problematic if you insert and fix the joists you have inserted previously.

Trick is to fit but do not finally fix untill all joists are "fitted" at each end.

Ken

Thanks ken for the reply. Much appreciated

Yes the joists will sit between 2 steel beams spaced 4.8 meters apart.

Each beam is 75mmx 200mm. There will be 15 beams in total at 400mm centres.

They will be doubled up (trimmers) around the opening for the stairs.

I think il try your idea of putting them all in at angles in one go before fixing them into their final positions.

Sponsored Links
If your going over an existing ceiling you would hang them off the beam, between the existing ceiling joists. That way you get more head height.

Yes i will be going over an existing ceiling but head height isnt a problem thankfully as the gap between existing ceiling joists and ridge of the roof is 4 meteres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back