Minimum changes to a kind of weird warehouse for me to be allowed to live there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's this little old warehouse in Liverpool which will be auctioned, awkwardly situated between two rows of terraced houses. I was thinking it might be okay to live there but I couldn't afford to pay professionals to take care of everything (probably just the stuff that I can't safely or legally do myself).

Change of use from class B8 (storage) to C3 (residential) would require full planning permission which sounds pretty daunting. How detailed must drawings be? All I want to do is add insulation to the walls and roof, add a shower, a cooker and kitchen sink and hot-water heater. Do they make you do a bunch of other stuff? Would I need to hire an architectural technician to draw it?

The downstairs windows have all been bricked up - would I be allowed to keep it that way? There also some holes in the outside wall, presumably caused by vegetation and weathering so they'll need to be patched up as well. For heating, I think I'll want an air-source heat pump eventually and later, solar panels but the building doesn't have any south-facing aspects so that's not ideal.

For the insulation, I was thinking I could put a load of wooden studs along the wall (47 mm x 150 mm) and then stuff 150 mm mineral wool between the studs and plasterboard on top.

What's the minimum I would have to do for the local authorities to say "okay, you can live here now"? Is the insulation even relevant to that? I suppose they inspect it to make sure it matches the drawings submitted and meets regulations?

Even if I don't get this, it would still be useful to know for the next thing like this that comes along. Thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
will you be getting a mortgage, i know some business premisses where i used to live had been changed into living flats etc - BUT a lot of companies refused mortgages and it was a bit of a local problem , that was 2017 , things may have changed now

will you be getting a mortgage, i know some business premisses where i used to live had been changed into living flats etc - BUT a lot of companies refused mortgages and it was a bit of a local problem , that was 2017 , things may have changed now

No, I'd be doing this without a mortgage.

Sponsored Links
That place will go for 2 or 3 times the guide price. I’ve been watching properties like this I’m liverpool for a while now as I’m looking for a workshop/garage.

If you have that sort of cash, you’re better off buying a house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back