minimum depth of footing .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We currently have a conservatory that we would like converting into a single story extension.
I have dug down and discovered the footings are 400.mm deep of concrete with the dampcourse about 3 brick courses above this height.

Am I right in thinking that we will have to have new footings dug ?

If so to what depth?
I live in south northants if this helps with depth of footing required.

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It all comes down to your local building control department. Give them a ring and tell them what you are looking to do. They will probably be able to pop out and take a look and let you know if you will be able to reuse or have to redig. Also means you don't end up paying lots for buildings notice to then decide its going to cost too much due to the foundations not being up to scratch

I have just done exactly the same proceedure and got the good news they were good enough for my single story extension.

Soil types and foundation depths are peculiar to each individual area and there is no set precedent. A default depth setting of 1m is recognized as the accepted norm.

Here in Staffs we have a sub-soil variation of pure clay through to sandy soil with ducker stones. The sandy-ducker stone variety being the best type upon which to build. Clay sub-soil is nowt but trouble.

If the soil type is good at say 600mm and unlikely to change whether you are at 800mm or 1200mm then bc will accept shallower than the standard 1m depth.

However, if there are signs that the soil is non-virgin, made up ground or that there are deep drain pipes close to the dig, then b.c. will insist the foundations are dug deeper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back