Minimum flooring thickess to satisfy building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have had an extension built on a house that was constructed in 1996. Flooring in existing house is all chipboard, but in the extension I wanted to use 18mm WBP exterior grade ply for the flooring up stairs where it would be laid over joists with 400mm centres. Building inspector tells me minimum thickness must be 22mm. I queried this as I said it will make a 4mm diff where old floor meets new, but he still maintains 22mm is required.I then rang 2 other councils who said 18mm is fine.

When you look at building regs for new builds it mentions minimum mass of floor covering to be 15Kg/m2 and uses 22mm as minimum thickness to satisfy part E.

Anyone else come up against this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it's to satisfy part E then I can see his point, maybe you could negotiate with him by installing rockwool between the joists to help with sound insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back