Minimum gap between properties to avoid weather flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbour has planning permission to build a single story extension up to his boundary. He is proposing cutting a lead flashing in to my house. This would make the two properties link detached. I know he can't do it without my permission as the new structure would be under my eves and gutters and well over the boundary. Allowing for foundations on his own land, I think there will be a natural gap of around 300-350mm. Currently there is a garage on the boundary (actually over it in places) and we've not had any problems in 50 years.

Are there other solutions? Would a 300mm gap be good enough for ventilation etc.

Sponsored Links
You don't need any ventilation or any flashing, and the gap can be any dimension. External walls are weatherproof.

thanks, my gut feel is this is an excuse to make his internal rooms as big as possible.

Sponsored Links
That may well be so as your wall is on your side of the boundary.

The neighbour just needs to design his roof edge as normal - edge kerb and fall to front if a flat roof, as presumably he wont want a gutter on the boundary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back