neighbours guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone
I need some advice with regards to my planned extension.
I have an application in with planning at the moment for a side, double storey extension that will butt up against my neighbours existing garage. I presently also have a garage that is against his garage but our plan is to take this down and rebuild our extension. At the moment our garage roofline is lower than his and our garage is flashed up to his wall and his gutter overhangs over the top of our garage. It is unknown who is actually encroaching onto who's land but that isnt the issue anyway. The question my neighbour has asked is what will happen to his gutter when my extension goes up. Now the obvious way around this is to set my wall back far enough to allow his gutter to be clear but having discussed this with my neighbour we are both agreed that this is a waste as it leaves a small gap between the two buildings. I have asked for clarification from my architect as to what the plan could be as I have told my neighbour that whatever is required I will make his guttering good. His reply is that a "land gutter " would be put in but after searching for what a land gutter is I still have no idea so I cant very well go and tell my neighbour what it is if I dont know! The architect isnt the best at explaining things either.
Any ideas on what a land gutter is or how the construction can be done for this situation? Obvioulsy I plan on putting a parapet gutter on my roof so as not to encroach over the boundary.

Sponsored Links
Land gutter?

Speak with your architect and ask him to either explain it in plain English or supply a drawing or do both.

He is your servant and receives payment for the pleasure, not the other way around.

From the brief description a lead lined box gutter formed on your neighbours garage roof would be the answer.
Should land gutter, read lead gutter?
old un

Thanks guys for the response.
With regards to the architect, I understand that he works for me but the problem I have at the moment is that I am not in the country. I am conversing with my neighbour by email and obviously this isn't ideal. He has objected to the plan due to the fact that I am not there and I wont be until after his 30 days to object will pass. The lead gutter seems likely what was meant. How would that work old un? Obviously I don't want to be making loads of work for my builders on my neighbours property as it will be costing me!! Would it require an alteration to his roof? If my understanding of it is right, it will. His roof is pitched and tiled and it rolls off at present into a normal gutter. If my wall is up to his roof edge, how do I build the gutter into my property and not his. I really don't see how. I'm know builder but I like to think I'm quite practical but this just doesn't seem possible on my build and will have to be done on his roof.
If this is the case, any idea of costs? roof line is approximately 7 metres long.
The other option is to set the build back that little distance and leave as is. Thought I was going to enjoy this extension as I never fore saw such a small problem being such a big issue but hey I suppose naivety breeds ignorance!
Thanks again guys

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but here is how I imagine it:

Take off 4 or 5 rows of his tiles. Extend a horizontal piece of timber from his roof to your new wall, forming a narrow platform. For each piece of timber, step it down slightly to form a slope down to one end of the roof where the gulley is. Line this valley with plywood or similar, then lead, and dress your wall up a few inches too. Relay a row or 2 of tiles so they overlap the lead. Yes, you'd be paying for this work, and some work may be required front and back to hide the ends of the lead valley.

Out of interest, we live in a semi. It was extended in the 70s to the side property line. Next door had a single storey garage, also to the property line, the two buildings had no space between. Next door recently wanted to extend the garage up to form a bedroom above, such that there would be 4 houses totally adjoined. The planners threw it out because it would spoil the look of a street of semis. If your neighbours ever wanted to extend up, they'd have difficulty with planning.

Mack, Correct gutter will have to be formed on neighbours roof.
Save me explaining in detail, google Calder Lead, look for tapered box gutter, and will show you a picture and drawing of gutter.
They are easy enough to do. Depending what roof tiles are on roof, may have to alter lap on two or three course of tiles. Gutter to fall both ways from middle to hopper and down pipe.
It all depends how much an additional 100mm of floor space is worth to you. Come back if you have problems.
old un.

Steve,
"Out of interest, we live in a semi. It was extended in the 70s to the side property line. Next door had a single storey garage, also to the property line, the two buildings had no space between. Next door recently wanted to extend the garage up to form a bedroom above, such that there would be 4 houses totally adjoined. The planners threw it out because it would spoil the look of a street of semis. If your neighbours ever wanted to extend up, they'd have difficulty with planning."

This is called the "terracing effect" and I know what you mean. My architect has managed to explain this to me and as you say, two houses next door to each other probably wouldnt be able to build right up to the boundary. We do though have a precedent on our street that at least one of the two houses can do it that way and the other has a different type of extension that would allow the 4th bedroom to be built. It requires moving bathrooms and doing more of a wrap around extension. Also to stop the extension spoiling the look of the road we have had to set ours back 2 metres from the front elevation of the house. I understand that this is standard practice also now.
Fingers crossed with the planners and thanks to all of you as I fully understand what is involved now. Really appreciate it guys.
Cheers
neilymack!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back