Roof overhang on party wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having some issues with my neighbour about an extension we're planning and could do with some help. I hope I'm posting this in the right place, if not feel free to move it.

We are in a link attached property and are planning an over garage extension, building up the shared wall with the neighbour to the full height of the property.

The neighbour's issue is that the roof tiles will overhang this party wall by about 4cm into his air space. The architect says there must be an overhang so the rain drips off, not down the wall, that that is just how it is done and there isn't another way. At least a dozen properties on my estate have had this extension and none of their neighbours brought up this problem.

I can see the neighbour's point that it is encroachment, but if we're building up the party wall, what else can be done? I've seen discussions about gutters and dormers but nothing about this specific issue.

I don't really understand why the neighbour is so concerned about this. We have told him that it won't affect his ability to build a similar extension (in fact it will help, as the central wall will already be built up). Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's not encroaching it's trespass, you cannot overhang the boundary at all, your neighbour is quite right and well within his rights to expect you to not build over the boundary. Furthermore it won't be 4cm there will need to be a gutter too. The fact that it might make his future extension easier is neither here nor there, if he doesn't want an extension it's completely irrelevant. The architect needs to get clued up and needs to find another way, either that or he just can't be bothered to draw up something a bit more complicated than a standard eaves detail and he should know very well (I bet he does) that you cannot build beyond the boundary.

Typically the solution is an inbound gutter eg

It doesn't need gutters as it's a gable end. There's no gutters on that side of the house currently. The gutters are on the front and back of the house, not the sides.

If it is not possible, how have the other people on my estate been able to do it with no problems? I don't understand.

Do others agree that the architect is in the wrong? If so, I'll take it up with him more firmly.

Last edited:
OK, that would have been helpful to know! Got a photo? I suspect the neighbours who have had adjacent extensions are not very astute!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Also, any suggestions on what we could do instead of a slight overhang would be gratefully received.

How can you be building up a party wall? will you not be opening up your neighbours roof?

Yes, just slightly, it is his garage roof, the garages are attached. He doesn't seem to have a problem with that part of it.

No pictures I'm afraid, I'll take one when it gets light. I have elevation pdfs but I don't think I can attach them here.

Deleted this post as turned out to be inaccurate

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I talked to my architect today and we're going to change things so there is no trespass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back